Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: popping from exhaust on deceleration

Status
    Thanks Received
    Thanks Given

popping from exhaust on deceleration

First, let me say I appreciate everybody that has taken the time to give advise to me on this site. It has proven to be an invaluable tool to diagnose problems so thanks!

Now to the problem: Engine has a slight hesitation at low throttle but runs like a scalded dog when you step on it. When I take my foot off the throttle, there is a random popping from the exhaust. It isn't a loud bang but a pop pop and is random. It doesn't seem to do it when decelerating from a light load.
    I'm pretty sure it is not a vacuum leak and the car has new plugs. One thing I noticed when trying to get it timed in is that the vacuum advance on the distributor does not appear to be working. I have it plugged to manifold vacuum and I saw no change with it plugged off v/s plugged in. I rather doubt that has anything to do with the popping but just throwing that out there. Does this sound like a timing thing or what?
    Last edited by Bill Monk; 6 Days Ago at 05:01 AM.

Status
    Thanks Received
    Thanks Given
    Bill if it is an automatic transmission it is getting to much gas if it is a stick it is your mufflers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
    Thanks Received
    Thanks Given
    what were your instructions to set timing from 4 seconds flat? his setups pull timing out under WOT when manifold vacuum drops off. you may have too much initial timing or may be a little lean. verify your timing settings and go from there. if timing is set to where the instructions tell you, try backing timing off 2 degrees and see if that makes any change.

Status
    Thanks Received
    Thanks Given
    4 speed brother

Status
    Thanks Received
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    what were your instructions to set timing from 4 seconds flat? his setups pull timing out under WOT when manifold vacuum drops off. you may have too much initial timing or may be a little lean. verify your timing settings and go from there. if timing is set to where the instructions tell you, try backing timing off 2 degrees and see if that makes any change.
    My setup from FOB hasn't got here yet. As far as running lean, I'm definitely not running rich (based on plugs) but she idles well where it is. The center carb is out 1 1/2 turns and it doesn't want more than that. I have plenty of get up and go under throttle, even before I kick in the outboards. I know idle isn't a good indicator of what's going on at deceleration but I don't know. I'm leaning toward a distributor problem which is why I ordered the setup from FOB in first place. As it is right now, I get the most vacuum and it idles well at 30 BTDC with no starting issues. I probably should have waited until I installed the new distributor but this stuff drives me crazy. I just can't let it go until I resolve the issue. Mopar OCD!

Status
    Thanks Received
    Thanks Given
    My first thought is an exhaust leak at the header or manifold.

Status
    Thanks Received
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by zupanj View Post
    My first thought is an exhaust leak at the header or manifold.
    OK, I'll check that as well

Sit back, relax and don't bitch about the cigar smoke

Status
    Thanks Received
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    X2

Usually, popping through the exhaust on deceleration is a lean condition. I'd look at that and timing. It may be a combination of the two.

“Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even usually surpassing knowledge.” EJ Potter

Status
    Thanks Received
    Thanks Given
    what carb are you running?

Status
    Thanks Received
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Monk View Post
    My setup from FOB hasn't got here yet. As far as running lean, I'm definitely not running rich (based on plugs) but she idles well where it is. The center carb is out 1 1/2 turns and it doesn't want more than that. I have plenty of get up and go under throttle, even before I kick in the outboards. I know idle isn't a good indicator of what's going on at deceleration but I don't know. I'm leaning toward a distributor problem which is why I ordered the setup from FOB in first place. As it is right now, I get the most vacuum and it idles well at 30 BTDC with no starting issues. I probably should have waited until I installed the new distributor but this stuff drives me crazy. I just can't let it go until I resolve the issue. Mopar OCD!
    i would still begin with backing off the intial timing a bit.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast