• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

4 speed convert from auto

sam z

Reaction score
Men,
The idea mentioned above is being bounced around. Looking at prices, parts, you name it.

I keep seeing that a possible (big) problem is the crankshaft on an auto car not being drilled
to accept the correct parts (bushings).

-But-

I've also read that 440 HP motors have forged cranks that were already drilled, no matter
what transmission is behind it (My car has a 72 440HP).

Any light to be shed is appreciated, along with any definitive and trusted source that I could
use to continue pursuing this.

Thanks,
-Sam

bigmanjbmopar

Reaction score
:popcorn:

You know about brewers right?
http://www.brewersperformance.com/topcategories.asp

Call them they will tell you everything you need to know and have everything you need for the conversion, all you need is cash and labor.

I will be doing a convert one day already have the a833 rebuilt and ready to go with shifter just need the rest, so I will be watching your progress :popcorn:

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
FWIW, Never seen a crank that wasn't drilled.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Big John said:
FWIW, Never seen a crank that wasn't drilled.
X2. Can't say that Ive seen many later cranks, although the 60s & early 70s have been drilled

zupanj

Reaction score
Don't forget Passon Performance.

http://www.passonperformance.com/

I don't think you can go wrong with either Passon or Brewer. I don't know if you are interested but Passon is about to release a true 5-speed transmisson in an 833 case that will bolt right in.

dobie

Reaction score
My RR was an auto car. The 383 came out of a Newport, and there were no problems using it. All of my 4 speed stuff (that I had to buy) came from Brewer's. I highly recommend them.

V269

Reaction score
My engine come out of an auto car too. Crank's are drilled so you should be good to go. :thumbsup:

moparchris

Reaction score
I have converted at least 20 cars in my time and I found that later cast cranks aren't drilled. The solution I came up with was to make a steel billet piece to put in the back of the crank to act as a drill guide and drill out the crank to the size of the pilot bushing. It works like a charm and takes 10 minute to complete. Then you install the bushing and run it like factory. The othe option is to trim the inPut shaft and run a pilot bushing from Chrysler that is used in the jeeps which goes into the converter pilot hole. Another thing to note is that while brewers and passon are very reputable companies that are great to deal with, there is a lot of money to be saved buying the individual pieces off eBay or swap meets. It usually costs between 1500 and 2000 depending on the deals you find. Brewers swap kit is 3-3500. I can list all the items and costs if you want me to.

sam z

Reaction score
Ok guys, beautiful.

Chris, my gut feeling says that you are right. I'd save a small fortune (at least a grand) going in the
direction you had said. To address what you said about the crank, my research indicates my engine
has a forged crank / should be drilled (72 HP 440).

Guys, great suggestions. Thanks. I was thinking about dumping some money on bettering my
727 but I would much rather have a 4 spd so why not just put a little more toward something else.

AND...please read this too....

Does the 18 spline transmission (instead of 23) create the gear whine that the M22 GM unit
does, or no, are both the 18 and 23 spline reasonably quiet?

moparchris

Reaction score
sam z said:
Ok guys, beautiful.

Chris, my gut feeling says that you are right. I'd save a small fortune (at least a grand) going in the
direction you had said. To address what you said about the crank, my research indicates my engine

Guys, great suggestions. Thanks. I was thinking about dumping some money on bettering my
727 but I would much rather have a 4 spd so why not just put a little more toward something else.

Does the 18 spline transmission (instead of 23) create the gear whine that the M22 GM unit
I have a car with an M22 as well as both Chrysler transmissions. The M22 is so loud that you have to yell over it till its in fourth gear then its silent. The Chrysler 18 spline is slightly noisier than a 23 spline both are silent when you are in high gear.

george68hemirr

I think you guys are full of shit.
Reaction score
sam z said:
Ok guys, beautiful.

this is the guy i used for my 727 and am very happy......4 speeds are a blast but if your like me and love to bang shift....they dont last long.....blew up 3 ....4 speeds then went to a 727
take your pick on which tranny you want....they take the abuse
https://www.coperacingtrans.com/product ... 242b0d17e4

moparchris

Reaction score
george68hemirr said:
sam z said:
Ok guys, beautiful.

this is the guy i used for my 727 and am very happy......4 speeds are a blast but if your like me and love to bang shift....they dont last long.....blew up 3 ....4 speeds then went to a 727
take your pick on which tranny you want....they take the abuse
https://www.coperacingtrans.com/product ... 242b0d17e4
Oh dont church it up George. You too afraid to run a four gear. :acme: :gay: Real men have three pedals.

jays69bird

Reaction score
Oh dont church it up George. You too afraid to run a four gear. :acme: :gay: Real men have three pedals.[/quote]
:lmao:

Back