• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

DASH gauges on a '69 RR

vso737

Reaction score
What is the BEST and EASIEST way to get to the water temperature gauge in the dashboard?

I really do not want to install after market gauges under the dash.................

Can one get to the gauges by taking off the top dash pad?

I have NOT investigated the situation yet but I need to replace the water temperature gauge.

I'm hoping that I don't have to remove the steering wheel and then the entire front dash. Sure would be nice if I can get to it from underneath the dash or by removing the top dash pad.

Any suggestions would be geatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
LG,
Mike

:crushed::crushed::crushed:

quikbird

Reaction score
Not an easy job. Pretty much need to pull the cluster to get to it. MIGHT be able to drop the column and reach from under neath but probably need to pull the cluster.

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
The cluster has to come out. The gauge isn't accessible from the back. Here's a pic I stole off the intrawebs showing the rear of the cluster.

I can't remember the best way to pull the cluster out.... Too many years have passed since I did that.

s-l1600.jpg

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
not the easiest way....but might just be the easiest way...pull the windshield, and pull the dash. the clusters and switch panel are a PIA to get out of these nearly 50 year old pads, and getting them back in is just as bad.

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
Hey Dave, does the lower pad have to come off? I know the switch panel needs to... I just can't remember....

Ranger

Reaction score
not the easiest way....but might just be the easiest way...pull the windshield, and pull the dash. the clusters and switch panel are a PIA to get out of these nearly 50 year old pads, and getting them back in is just as bad.

The under dash cluster is looking better and better all the time.

Road Runner 2 Interior 2.jpg

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Lower the column pull the switch panel, and maybe the lower pad (its been awhile)to get to all the screws. Then its behind the circuit board

roadrunner restoration 888.jpg

roadrunner restoration 896.jpg

roadrunner restoration 889.jpg

roadrunner restoration 217.jpg

Last edited:

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
John I think it does...IIRC, there are screws on the bottom of the cluster that the lower pad covers. Having the glass pulled sounds extreme, but you can do several things a lot easier, that are a royal PIA when everything is in place. Have manual brakes and ever have to change the master cylinder? how about those leakey wiper pivot seals....and a good chance to check the windshield channel for hidden rust.
and consider this also about the factory water gauge...I've run manual gauges in my cars for 30+ years. and they are way more accurate than the factory gauges, and our road runners don't have an oil gauge anyway.

Last edited:

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
John I think it does...IIRC, there are screws on the bottom of the cluster that the lower pad covers. Having the glass pulled sounds extreme, but you can do several things a lot easier, that are a royal pIA when everything is in place. Have manual brakes and ever have to change the master cylinder? how about those leakey wiper pivot seals....and a good chance to check the windshield channel for hidden rust.
and consider this also about the factory water gauge...I've run manual gauges in my cars for 30+ years. and they are way more accurate than the factory gauges, and out road runners don't have an oil gauge anyway.

I posted while you were typing :facepalm:

quikbird

Reaction score
could always put a gauge pod on the a pillar also if you really hate the under dash cluster.
ps I think that there are a couple screws to the inst cluster under the dash pad so it needs to at least be loosened at the top to reach them.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!! not the a pillar pod.........

vso737

Reaction score
could always put a gauge pod on the a pillar also if you really hate the under dash cluster.

WOW..........Now I know why so many owners opted for the aftermarket gauges. NOT just because of the PIA of working with these gauges. BUT, the effort is NOT worth it, other than keeping it looking STOCK. The original gauges DO NOT compare to the aftermarket gauges in accuracy.

I thought about the POD that attaches to the steering column. I think I will look into maybe installing a TWO gauge pod. The OIL gauge and WATER TEMP gauge.

I should be getting the shop manual next week. Hope it covers the stuff I need to work on...................

Thank you all for all the GREAT input,
LG,
Mike

vso737

Reaction score

HI BIG JOHN,

I received my "1969 Plymouth manual yesterday". It is very informative and just what I needed.
I'm now leaning towards installing two after market gauges since the car has an 'idiot' light for the oil pressure. I don't feel it is worth going to the trouble and NOT be happy with the results. I much rather have a dependable OIL pressure and WATER TEMPERATURE gauge......
The question now is finding a suitable place to mount them that I will be happy with.

Thanks again for the input,
LG,
Mike

quikbird

Reaction score
Dave, I didn't say that they would look great. just that they were an option. Have we found a pet peeve of yours perhaps??????

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
There are no screws under the upper pad. There are two that go up threw the cluster but they are visible.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
I see the A pillar pods used on the trucks, especially the Cummins powered ones. I'm getting my late Uncle's W250 Cummins truck, so I've joined a Dodge Truck Cummins forum, and a lot of the guys use those. not my cup o tea. One option I've seen on the road runners ('68 & '69s), some of the '68s have a panel IIRC in the lower pad below the radio. I've seen a few put the gauges there, doesn't look too bad, especially if you don't want them under the dash. and I've seen a few of the '70 guys put them there since the pads went to plastic.
naw...I've got no pet peeves...as long as you don't count the color blue....Arizona.....dog dishes....:acme::acme::acme::jester:

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
I see the A pillar pods used on the trucks, especially the Cummins powered ones. I'm getting my late Uncle's W250 Cummins truck, so I've joined a Dodge Truck Cummins forum, and a lot of the guys use those. not my cup o tea. One option I've seen on the road runners ('68 & '69s), some of the '68s have a panel IIRC in the lower pad below the radio. I've seen a few put the gauges there, doesn't look too bad, especially if you don't want them under the dash. and I've seen a few of the '70 guys put them there since the pads went to plastic.
naw...I've got no pet peeves...as long as you don't count the color blue....Arizona.....dog dishes....:acme::acme::acme::jester:
Your such a purist :lol:

Back