• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Neutral Safety Switch and back up lights wiring 1968 RR 727 Trans

jaxrunner1968

Reaction score
Hello; Has anyone ever replaced separate wires out of the firewall main electrical block? I have a bad brown wire on the three wire safety sw/back up light harness and want to install a new harness but need to be able to plug them into existing firewall block. Thanks for any help with this!

Roadrunner Electric.jpg

Last edited:

jaxrunner1968

Reaction score
Here is the connector you need. I know NAPA can get themView attachment 22236
Thanks, I did find a harness that had those terminals on one end so I will get that one. I assume that the firewall block terminal has to be unplugged in order to get the (2) old wires out and the wire connections in correct? Thanks again for the help!

Rapid Transit

Just A Traveler In Time
Reaction score
I learned that is called a "Packard" connector as pictured.
The "male" can be removed with a little difficulty by squeezing it because the slot allows the blade to expand and lock in it's connector.
The female CAN also be removed but you have to have a very small flat tool to release it.
The female has a tab on one side that locks it into its connector.
I made a tool some years ago by grinding a stainless steel welding rod flat.
About 1/16 inch diameter. Go in from the front and wiggle till it shoe horns the tab away from the connector.
Have used it many many times to reuse connectors.

jaxrunner1968

Reaction score
I learned that is called a "Packard" connector as pictured.
The "male" can be removed with a little difficulty by squeezing it because the slot allows the blade to expand and lock in it's connector.
The female CAN also be removed but you have to have a very small flat tool to release it.
The female has a tab on one side that locks it into its connector.
I made a tool some years ago by grinding a stainless steel welding rod flat.
About 1/16 inch diameter. Go in from the front and wiggle till it shoe horns the tab away from the connector.
Have used it many many times to reuse connectors.

Thanks for that information, I purchased a few small tools may help. On the male end that has one side that looks like a knive blade, would inserting a small tool into one side of the block disengage it from the female connector so I can pull it out?

Back