• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1970 Aluminum Edelbrock Manifold

Reaction score
From everything I have read, 1970 RRs all reverted back to cast iron intakes. My numbers matching 1970 440 +6 has an aluminum version. Is there any chance the factory had leftovers from 1969 that were put into some 1970 cars?

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Absolutely. If you research this topic you'll find early build cars that have been documented to have been delivered with the aluminum versions. Is your car an early build? If so it makes that scenario all the more plausible.

Reaction score
Hi ACME...I have tried the Search bar and cannot find anything related to this subject. Sorry, I am new to this forum and maybe I am doing something wrong. Anyway, I should have been more clear in mentioning I knew about the aluminum manifolds in the early 70s RRs, but based on the fender tag and build sheet, it appears to be a (V0A) (710) July 10 1970 build, which indicates a later build. Right? Does anyone truly know the cut off period when they reverted to cast iron and is there a chance they had leftover inventory of the aluminum Edelbrocks laying around in storage that worked their way into later 70s production? Is there something on the build sheet that would indicate this? I have gone through all the build and fender tag decoders and it does not appear this is an identifiable option. Thanks for your additional help.

ACME A12

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi ACME...I have tried the Search bar and cannot find anything related to this subject. Sorry, I am new to this forum and maybe I am doing something wrong. Anyway, I should have been more clear in mentioning I knew about the aluminum manifolds in the early 70s RRs, but based on the fender tag and build sheet, it appears to be a (V0A) (710) July 10 1970 build, which indicates a later build. Right? Does anyone truly know the cut off period when they reverted to cast iron and is there a chance they had leftover inventory of the aluminum Edelbrocks laying around in storage that worked their way into later 70s production? Is there something on the build sheet that would indicate this? I have gone through all the build and fender tag decoders and it does not appear this is an identifiable option. Thanks for your additional help.
I didn't necessarily mean on this site - I meant if you were to research the topic in general - so you aren't doing anything wrong. I was just insufficiently clear in my response. I was referring to threads on other MoPar Forums (on moparts for instance) that deal with this topic. I would definitely call July '70 a late build. I'm generalizing here, and this is by no means the gospel because we always say "never say never with Ma MoPar", but most of what I have read indicates that the aluminum intakes did not appear after December of '69. Google the subject and you'll find some interesting reading. Nothing on your FT or BS is going to unlock this mystery for you unfortunately.

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Have an Holey aluminum intake on my motor. Figure it is not factory. Someone told me it might have come with it. But really figure it is an after market piece. Oh it is on a 383 68. date motor.

Reaction score
I didn't necessarily mean on this site - I meant if you were to research the topic in general - so you aren't doing anything wrong. I was just insufficiently clear in my response. I was referring to threads on other MoPar Forums (on moparts for instance) that deal with this topic. I would definitely call July '70 a late build. I'm generalizing here, and this is by no means the gospel because we always say "never say never with Ma MoPar", but most of what I have read indicates that the aluminum intakes did not appear after December of '69. Google the subject and you'll find some interesting reading. Nothing on your FT or BS is going to unlock this mystery for you unfortunately.

This is a real mystery. The entire car is numbers matching and the manifold appears to be one of the Chrysler/Edelbrock issues vs an Edelbrock aftermarket version. Going to pull the carbs in the next few weeks to try to get some more codes. Thank again

ACME A12

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, carbs are date code correct. 4382, 4375, 4383.
Those aren't the date codes - but I'm not sure that this is what you meant anyway. Those are the list numbers, which are correct for a '70 440-6 with manual trans and what I think that you meant. Bob (hemibeep) was asking if the date codes were good for the car, i.e. are they dated before the actual SPD of the car. The date codes should be right next to the list numbers and there's no reason to pull the carbs to access them - they're clearly visible.

Reaction score
Those aren't the date codes - but I'm not sure that this is what you meant anyway. Those are the list numbers, which are correct for a '70 440-6 with manual trans and what I think that you meant. Bob (hemibeep) was asking if the date codes were good for the car, i.e. are they dated before the actual SPD of the car. The date codes should be right next to the list numbers and there's no reason to pull the carbs to access them - they're clearly visible.
So directly over the List # (thanks for keeping me straight on that!), there is a number 0220 over the 4375. One of the other carbs has List # 4382 with a 3019 over it. Would this correlate to some sort of date? The build sheet indicates a 7/10/1970 manufacture of the car (as already mentioned).

ACME A12

Staff member
Reaction score
Those are the date codes. Based on the Gregorian Calendar. The fourth digit indicates the year.

0220 = the 22nd day of 1970. January 22nd.
3019 - the 301st day of 1969. October 28th.

MOST LIKELY - as again there are no definite guidelines here and anything is possible - those carbs would better match up to a car built earlier in the year. You USUALLY don't find that large of a gap between component date of manufacture and the SPD of the car.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
That's what I was after was more evidence. I would assume the original intake and carbs were taken off because of wear or someone didn't know how to tune them or even stolen. I bought a car from a used car lot minus intake and carb and had the get those from the police after they were used as evidence. Lol

Reaction score
Thank you both...I am going to get the date on the third code this weekend, just for kicks and see if it is near the other dates. I will post it here, once I get it. I appreciate both of your input! Sucks being a rookie at 57 years of age:thumbsup:

Reaction score
Actually was able to get the number on the third carb. It is 3149, so this means 314th day of 1969. So, we have the below dates on a July 10 1970 car.

January 22 1970
October 28 1969
November 10 1969

As you guys have said, anything is possible. Three carbs with an aluminum manifold mostly done in late 1969, mated to a much later July 1970 car. If there are any further thoughts, please chime in!

Back