• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1970 road runner windshield channel how do I fix the rust holes with new metal

I need new metal for fixing the window channel on my 1970 road runner where and what do I buy?

• vendor

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • vendor

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

quikbird

Reaction score
I just used pieces of sheet metal and bent and welded them in. don't try to do a big complicated piece, just break it down to more manageable shapes and weld away.

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Where are they and how big. I replaced the hole top upper cowl and lower on mine. Thought it would be quicker. I had a lot of rust in the lower cowl so did both. Had to rebuild lower A pillar post where it goes under the upper cowl. The older metal can be a bitch to weld. Wonder how you clean the inside when done welding. Yes just do small spots if possible . What you have done looks good. Russ.

IRON MAN

Reaction score
Thanks it was just sand blasted and then epoxied and then primered

IRON MAN

Reaction score
It was sand blasted and then epoxied and the primer was paint on and what you see it what it truely is

Palmer Moe-par 68

Reaction score
I don't see much rust, let alone anywhere where I would be worried about replacing things. If it is worrying you too much, I agree with Russ on this, just replace both panels. I tried to separate the top cowl panel from the bottom, and it didn't go well. I wasted hours trying to do it, and ended up just having to replace both. If there is just some pin holes, I would just plug them up with weld and grind it smooth. It is a fine body to start with from what I can see, much better than this:
pbBbdFF_bYMVf-SEZ9jvLGRAq55y9f6yNhBVcXvJuxXTdm-GT_dyz2is4ZOmyuCHZfK9KoAFeYqjJxvRYw=w1625-h914-no.jpg

-Mr. Moe-par
1968 Road Runner, 1968 Coronet, 1968 Coronet, 1969 Dart

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Yep some barn find's are in much better shape than other's. I tried not to patch a lot. I did make some part's my self with a bead roller and anvil with hammer. No bond O to fix holes. How ever the feather filler is a grate thing and used Ice filler in some places. Just to straighten the after market metal and make my spot weld's smooth. Now down to fender's/ Hood/ and trunk lid as well as door's. Dose it ever end. The money keeps rolling out. Oh well the day she is on the road will make it all worth it. Good luck and keep up the good work. :thumbsup:

Back