• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1971 - 1974 “Factory” Window Tint Options (Rear Glass Replacement)

road robert

Reaction score
Hey Gang, my rear window exploded (on another post) and I need to replace it - original was clear but I would like to replace with tinted. Was "Green" tint the only factory option or was "Smoked" tint also available. I found a green one but was hoping for smoked... my glass guy said that the A/C cars got the green tint and looks good, but on an orange car? Thanks!

road runner rear window imploded.jpg

RAINMANYEH

Reaction score
Check with Russ.... he’s already done the research on who is out of rear glass, who has it in stock, and what color.

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Thanks a lot guy's. I am on round three. Going with clear this time. LOL. Not having any luck with the green tinted. My blue runner just don't like green glass.

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Yes I sure did. It will cost about 3 thou to have one made custom. So got another on today and letting the glass man see if he can do something with it. Two other people said they shaved down those glasses. I am becoming a believer that it can't be done. Wish me luck on this one. :(

road robert

Reaction score
Russ, there is either something else wrong with your car or the glass you are buying. Who is installing it and where is it from? Granted the '68-'70 is uniquely contoured but there are so many out there still in tact. How did the original one break and how long was it in there???

P.S. Can I change my user name from my real to a cool one?

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Okay Russ, more details please. Did it break the same way? How long before it broke? Etc
I was with the glass on the bench out side. Two saw horses with 2x4's covered with those noodles kids use to swim with. Had a six inch grinder with a 40 girt floppy disc. on it. Was working it slowly. Only needed to cut an 8th inch on both sides. That glass is hard to cut and was going with the glass and not across it. I would make a pass then let it cool could not run water due to the electric grinder. But let it cool with each pass not to heat the glass up. Only need to make one more pass to have it shaved to my line. Just lightly started the last pass and pow. Dag nab it. Have called all over to get one custom made and where looking at 3 thou. To 5 thou. So have another one and my glass man is going to try to get it cut for me now. Thinking I am up to a grand in window's now so maybe the best Idea is to have one made. Three thou. is hard to come by but may have to save for a few month's to get the money up. LOL.

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Dang Russ I'm so sorry to hear that another one broke, do you think something metal is hitting the edge somewhere ?
Did not have this one in the car Mike. Was working on it out side trying to shave it down after dry fitting and it was to big also. I am not going to try to cut another one my self. Will let my glass guy deal with it. One of my buddy's said to put a porter power back their and stretch that area. Yea rite. Don't thing that is a good Idea either. If some thing could go wrong it will with my luck.

1968 man

Reaction score
I know it sound crazy but the porter power may be the way to go , it is a slow movement process and if you take your time so you don't damage the paint you may be surprised. I know it sounds crazy but it is a option. Good luck buddy , I know this has turned out to be a pain in the A$$.

road robert

Reaction score
Was your car in a wreck and rear glass broken to begin with and now there is a fitment issue?

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
No it was all that after market metal. I used the old one to test fit as I went. But all that stack metal in the back window area guess it got tight with putting filler in to smooth out that area in the pinch weld. I have the answer for it but it is going to cost me a bunch. But too far into it to back out now. Thanks for asking. Russ. If you take a glance into my Garage you will see what all I did too the car. It was a rusted out mess. Full quarter's and Roof also put on. Just so much done to it.

RAINMANYEH

Reaction score
Wrong year. Russ has a '69...

Aware of same and agree.... however, Russ might be able to shed light on who is more likely to have glass in stock... just don’t ask him to help you install it. :poke:

Robert may have an easier time locating a rear window as his doesn’t have as much concave and convex curvature as the 69 birds do.

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Ok that is the end. :lol: I know where to get a supply of crying towels. AMD is one place Metro glass is another. Other than that your looking at used glass.

Back