• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1971 Roadrunner front chin spoilers

Ritchie Valens

Reaction score
Hello, does anyone have instructions on how to properly mount the 71 RR front chin spoilers? Or is it something you just gotta eye-ball? A while back, I was installing the Gull-wing on the same RR and I was able to find pretty good instructions with a google search. But I'm not having much luck for the front spoilers. I'll keep looking in the meantime. Thank you all and I hope to hear from you out there!!

Bird Man Of AZ

Reaction score
I don't have the installation instructions that you're looking for, but if some close-up pics and/or measurements would help, let me know.

Also, assuming that your bird is B5 blue, it looks like you and I have the same color scheme on our respective white top RR's.

IMG_0262 (2).JPG

Ritchie Valens

Reaction score
Hey Bird Man, I might have gotten lucky and found some new reproduction from Tamraz's parts shop. They claim the spoilers are black polyethylene plastic with hardware and installation instructions. Hoping I get lucky.

Your RR is great looking! It may seem from my the lighting on my pic that it looks like B5 blue, but it's actually In-Violet with the white top. Although, I do own a 2020 Dodge Hellcat in the B5 blue... not too many in that color. So yeah, your color combo is prob more rare. Looks great.

On another note, I'm taking a poll and asking around... what is your opinion on the rear window louvres? Don't see too many RR with them. Cool or not cool?

Unknown-6.jpeg

Unknown.jpeg

Bird Man Of AZ

Reaction score
Hey Ritchie,

Congrats on finding the "chin kit." Let me know how the installation goes and post up some photos afterward. Again, if you need any reference pics or anything, gimme a shout.

I guess I wasn't even close on your bird's color. Wow, I really like that In-Violet!! Especially with the white top combo. Beautiful. I'm also diggin' your Air Grabber. How long have you had your RR?

Re: the rear window louvres, I never cared much for them. To me they detract from the gorgeous sweeping lines of the '71/'72 fuselage style body.

Steve

PS - With your screen name of Ritchie Valens, I assume you're a fan of that music era. Me, too. (Just don't take any small airplane rides to a gig.)

Ritchie Valens

Reaction score
Hey Ritchie,

Congrats on finding the "chin kit." Let me know how the installation goes and post up some photos afterward. Again, if you need any reference pics or anything, gimme a shout.

I guess I wasn't even close on your bird's color. Wow, I really like that In-Violet!! Especially with the white top combo. Beautiful. I'm also diggin' your Air Grabber. How long have you had your RR?

Re: the rear window louvres, I never cared much for them. To me they detract from the gorgeous sweeping lines of the '71/'72 fuselage style body.

Steve

PS - With your screen name of Ritchie Valens, I assume you're a fan of that music era. Me, too. (Just don't take any small airplane rides to a gig.)
Sup Steve,

Maaaan, I spoke too soon. The chin spoilers I wanted are out of stock so I will have to find another set. It was too good to be true because they claimed to have instructions for installation. The search continues but I'll keep you posted.

I love the Air Grabber hood!! It's all show, but for some reason I love activating it at a red light! It's ALIVE!!

I've owned my RR for about 1.5 years now. How long you had your RR? Got any other MOPARS?

Not gonna lie, I was 38 yrs old when I bought my RR so I'm a little green behind the ears to owning a classic MOPAR. I originally wanted a 70-74 Challenger but the prices for those are bananas. Never thought I'd get a RR even though I always dug em.

And just recently, I had a chance to buy a Challenger but the seller wanted the RR for trade and cash on top. And now, I can't part with the RR! I'm way too attached!! Is that normal?? hahah

I'm torn on whether to put the louvers or not! I don't see any RR with them on so I feel it would make my RR stand out a little? The good thing is they don't require drilling into the metal for install. I'm gonna take a poll from the RR family.

And I'll be honest, my name is Richard Valenzuela... just like Mr. Valens himself! I became a huge fan when the La Bamba movie came out. I love all his music. The kid died way too young!!

By the way, I can do a super mean La Bamba karaoke! But yeah, I don't do coin flips and don't so small planes. You never know.... hahaha

Bird Man Of AZ

Reaction score
Maaaan, I spoke too soon. The chin spoilers I wanted are out of stock so I will have to find another set. It was too good to be true because they claimed to have instructions for installation.

How long you had your RR? Got any other MOPARS?

I'm torn on whether to put the louvers or not! I don't see any RR with them on so I feel it would make my RR stand out a little? The good thing is they don't require drilling into the metal for install.
Well, that kinda sucks about the chins and the install instructions. Is there any way that you could still contact the manufacturer and ask them for a copy of the instructions, even though the chins themselves are currently out of stock??

I just recently got this particular RR about a month ago or so. I had been looking for this specific year/engine/tranny configuration for some time now. I wanted to fulfill a nostalgic void of a '72 with a 340 and 727 trans that I purchased brand new almost exactly 50 years ago when I was still in the Army. Like an idiot, I didn't hang on to that one, so I'm making up for all of those lost years.

This was a 20 year-old me back in June of 1972:
72RoadrunnerX.jpg

I've had a bunch of other Mopars over the years, including a 2014 Challenger, a '73 Satellite, a '67 Fury II and a '76 Fury that I built into an LAPD tribute patrol car.

'76 Fury LAPD sedan (photo circa 2016):
005a(1).jpg

As far as the louvres go, if there's no drilling involved, you could always pull them off if you don't like them.

Last edited:

Ritchie Valens

Reaction score
DUUUUDE!! Those are some BAD-ASS photos brother!! First off, thank you for your service to this great country my friend... I also served.. sort of... I was in the Air Force... and yes, it counts! haha But man, what a great photo!! Thats 72 RR is just incredible... What color is that?? Bro, what a time capsule photograph... and it's a rare configuration. And as far as not keeping it, how were you supposed to know back then.

I've owned a 2009 Challenger and now I own a 2020 392 skatpack Charger b5 blue and I couldn't imagine or even thinking those cars being priceless classics in 50 years. But man, what a car! I'm guessing you have tried to track the car down?? Did you ever find any info on it?

And then a '76 Fury LAPD tribute car!!! WAIT, is that the Adam-12 car??!! Let's go FTO!! HAHAH That just made my day! Okay, I'm impressed.. That black and white is CLEAN!

188a470189debb4ba8650a8c8c703da5.jpg

Bird Man Of AZ

Reaction score
And then a '76 Fury LAPD tribute car!!! WAIT, is that the Adam-12 car??!! Let's go FTO!! HAHAH That just made my day! Okay, I'm impressed.. That black and white is CLEAN!

View attachment 36239
Yep, that would've been the Adam-12 car if the TV series went on into additional seasons.

However, I also built a '73 AMC Matador LAPD tribute car based on the car that was used in the last two seasons of the show (and was also the actual model that was in service in the LAPD at the time). Not a Mopar, but old fart fellow cops would remember that the '72 - '74 Matadors were a popular (and a pretty decent) police cruiser back in its day.

001x.jpg

Ritchie Valens

Reaction score
Yeah I never heard of the Matador but it's a very cool looking black and white!! I think the Fury still looks cooler! Haha

Bird Man Of AZ

Reaction score
Yeah I never heard of the Matador but it's a very cool looking black and white!!
Then you gotta watch the last 3 seasons of Adam-12. In real life, LAPD bought nearly 500 matadors to replace the Plymouth Satellites. LASD and even CHP had a bunch of them in their fleets in the early 70's.

Ritchie Valens

Reaction score
Then you gotta watch the last 3 seasons of Adam-12. In real life, LAPD bought nearly 500 matadors to replace the Plymouth Satellites. LASD and even CHP had a bunch of them in their fleets in the early 70's.
Man, and I thought the Crown Vics were old!! Hahah

Bird Man Of AZ

Reaction score
By the way, the '68/'69 Plymouth Belvederes that were the popular cop cars of the late 60's were essentially 4-door sedan Roadrunners. Same 383 4-bbl engine, same TorqueFlight auto tranny, same suspension, same bare-bones interior/exterior and identical performance specs.

Plymouth did good in 1968. The best cop car in history and the hottest muscle car ever.

cfcad2ab96eed0205c142d01e4ce5c51.jpg80296.jpg

Last edited:

V.R.D

Reaction score
well one is a 1968 and one is a 1969 and identical ...... not in my book.

Ritchie Valens

Reaction score
Brah... I would seriously trade my horrible shitty brand new patrol Ford Explorer cop car for that black and white Plymouth. That front grill is iconic! I would absolutely hit the field in that car! Haha.... by the way, you truly have a fantastic unique looking RR. If it was my car, I would totally pull the trigger and go all B5 blue with the white strobes going down the body side. I understand the white top is a rare option... I get it. But, I never understood why paint the top of the car another color if it wasn't a vinyl option? Never made sense to me. All B5! Do it!!!

Bird Man Of AZ

Reaction score
If it was my car, I would totally pull the trigger and go All B5! Do it!!!

I still have a few minor mechanicals to be addressed. But after that I'm going to find out if it can be done right without breaking the bank. If I can't find a quality auto body shop that is absolutely confident that they can perfectly match and blend the top's color with the bottom, then I'm just going to leave it be.

This is what it would look like if done properly.

(Internet photo)
1972-Plymouth-Road-Runner.jpg

Back