• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1972 Roadrunner WIW Opinions.

TimS

Reaction score
Will have pics pretty soon but I'm thinking of buying a 72 Roadrunner from a friend of mine. He's had it for 25 years or so. It's a rust free car runs and drives anywhere. Here are the original fender tag specifics:

400 4 BBL 727 AT
B3 Blue with blue bench interior.
Dual exhaust
Half white vinyl top
Black longitudinal Stripes
Electronic Ignition
AM Radio

Today:
Non #'s 400 4BBL
B5 Blue with Black bucket interior and console AT
White longitudinal stripes
Has 15" Rallyes

No broadcast sheet. Needs front seat covers and front end work.

I offered 15K but he would like 18K for it. Seems high to me for a 72. Nice local car show overall condition. Not for the guy who cares allot about originality though. Opinions Please.

Last edited:

Plybeep68

Acceleratii Incredibus
Reaction score
Any pics ?? Since you know some of the history of the car I'd jump all over it,, I love the curves on the 71 and 72 and the grille on a 72 is beautiful !!

TimS

Reaction score
Haven't actually seen the car in a couple years so plan to head over next weekend and start negotiating the purchase.

TimS

Reaction score
$18K just seems to be a stretch for this 72. Should be able to get some pictures of it tomorrow.

droptop

Reaction score
Pay close attention to grill. Very brittle and even harder to find a replacement without spending your life savings. A one year only grill. Condition of the grill will largely influence the total price of the car.

TimS

Reaction score
Pay close attention to grill. Very brittle and even harder to find a replacement without spending your life savings. A one year only grill. Condition of the grill will largely influence the total price of the car.
Thanks for the heads up drop top. I believe the grill is flawless but I will take another very close look at it today. With the high cost of the 68-70 sector of 383 powered Roadrunners these days, #’s cars or not, going anywhere from 30k to 45k for very nice examples, I’m beginning to think this 72 fits in the low 20 range somewhere, as I do more price research. Roadrunners in the 68-72 years just seem to be demanding more bucks all the time.

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
I know where their is a 72 with a 360 in it automatic. The car is rough He is looking at about 2300. for it. After doing this resto on a 69 can say less is available for a 72. It need's a lot. It is number's matching. But figure you would have a lot in it. It need's every thing. Dash cracked-seat's need recovered-all trim is toast. Body need's work. So Might have 20 K or more in it restoring it plus what is paid for it. Wish you luck on the purchase. They all are getting rare and hard to find.

TimS

Reaction score
Picked it up today. Needs some small stuff here and there but paint is pretty nice and only interior issue is a couple of seam pulls in the driver seat. Perfect dash and grille.

TimS

Reaction score
Looks pretty good !!

Thanks. 30 year old paint is about a 6 out 10. Needs driver seat cover bottom and some front end work but it drives straight down the road. Get a popping noise now and then on a wide turn. Allot of tire for my liking up front with P255/60/15's all around. Runs great.

TimS

Reaction score
:thumbsup: Thanks all. Car is very complete as well. Only parts I see missing are the seat belt shoulder harnesses and the hardware that attaches to the roof. Will be looking on line or at the swaps for those in black. Also the LH exhaust manifold heat stove.

Back