• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1973 RR Project

mopar1969

Reaction score
This is where I will probably start my 73 has a fresh built 440 and 727

Put coil over shocks in place of the air shocks:

https://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=294407&cc=1240658

getimage.php

If that doesnt do it I will add ESPO 6-leaf springs. They are $240/pr for stock height; $270/pr for 1" overstock height and $280/pr for 2" overstock height. Shackles with bushings are $40/pr; ubolts are $16/set of 4 and front eye bolts are $6 for the pair.

What do you guy think? .........also someone put traction bars on there should they stay or go if I replace the springs?

Last edited:

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
Coil over shocks are junk and will eventually tear the shock mounts out. Don't do it. Replace the air shocks with stock HD shocks.

Get rid of the traction bars. Mopars don't need them. They are there to control wheel hop, something that Mopars don't do.

Replace the springs if they need it, do it right once and then you are done.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
I agree, look at what they bolt to on top, the air shocks may have the support loose already.

Roadcuda

Reaction score
FWIW, the guy that I bought my first 69 RR from back in 72 had installed air shocks in the back. One of them broke the shock mount cross over bar. I found that out when I saw that the truck floor was tore up because that's where he tried bolt the broken end of the shock mount to instead of replacing it!

mcmopar

Reaction score
Traction bars on Mopars have been known to snap leaf springs. Use a pinion snubber (available at Mancini Racing or any other Mopar Performance parts supplier) instead. Get the new leafs with a snubber and you are all done and ready to roll. :cents:

mopar1969

Reaction score
Thanks for the input.....do I need the snubber, do they make that much difference?

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
You can get an adjustable snubber so if you go to the track you set it up close the floor and on the road drop it down for a better ride.

mcmopar

Reaction score
I had a snubber on my '71 Charger SE but the problem was the springs were a bit saggy I guess because even at its lowest setting it still hit the trunk floor. If you get the springs with an additional 1" increase in height you'd probably be ok. You don't need the snubber for daily driving, just for trips to the strip. Mopars were properly designed from the factory to eliminate wheelhop. If you want even more control get the Hemi/440 rated leaf springs. They'll easily keep a 383 under control - even one hotter than stock. Another trick to try for increased grip under hard acceleration is to remove the spring clamps from the section of the leaf spring behind the rear axle and get some bolt on clamps to try on different locations on the rear portion of the spring. Again, I would only do this for drag strip action. It worked on my Charger.

mopar1969

Reaction score
Ordering ESPO 6 leaf one inch over standard, all new hardware. I did not add the isolation pad for the axle. Should firm up the back end nicely.

Or maybe I should go 1 1/2 inch?

Last edited:

mopar1969

Reaction score
Here is a quick look at the old configuration. I am changing my mind again and may go with stock height for road handling.
Also have to get the isolator pads or I have to change the brackets.

DSC_0159_zps3dc8be49.jpg

DSC_0156_zpsed2293f7.jpg

DSC_0155_zps5f3c4406.jpg

DSC_0153_zpsee822ab6.jpg

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
ah...the pics wern't working last night.
when I got my car, oneof the POs had removed a couple leaves on each side, so the car sat low in the rea like Challengers do. a buddy had a set of springs laying around, so we cut the eyes off the main, added that and two more, and that gave me the tail in the air look i like and all it cost me was a new set of U bolts (made at the local tractor trailer dealer) and new center bolts.

Back