• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

383/automatic with rear main seal leak!

woodwiz

Reaction score
Getting a nice little oil spot on the floor. I’m not rock solid on it being a rear main seal, but if it is, is it a big deal to fix and cost??

woodwiz

Reaction score
I’m handy,just without all the tools and no way to get the car high enough off the ground. What am I looking at ballpark cost? Labor + parts

quikbird

Reaction score
To do this at home, need to drop some of the front steering parts, drop the oil pan, ( front bolts on that are not fun), then can remove the rear bearing cap and change the seal , then can put it all back together. Definitely need some belly room under the car to do this. Some of us, myself included, need more than others

quikbird

Reaction score
To answer the question you really asked, the parts aren’t too expensive. Oil pan gasket and rear seal probably under 50 bucks. Time in a shop with a lift, I think could be done in 5-8 hours.

woodwiz

Reaction score
That’s what I thought. I only have a couple of priorities to fix on this car and then just drive and enjoy!

woodwiz

Reaction score
While looking at the 383 top to bottom i have discovered no valve cover leaks especially in the back near the firewall on either side.The oil pressure sending unit appears dry too. I have noticed once we get to the oil pan things change.
Traces of oil and also noticed that it seems the oil pan gasket or gaskets as it appears are in layers. Is that normal?
I thought it was supposed to have just one gasket,but my time under this vehicle is 45 yrs removed. Might be my only source for leakage...I so hope! I'm hoping the rear main seal gods shine on me,for i have been good !!!

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
it seems the oil pan gasket or gaskets as it appears are in layers. Is that normal?
From top to bottom here is what you are seeing:

Engine Block
Gasket
Windage Tray
Gasket
Oil Pan

Perfectly normal.

woodwiz

Reaction score
Yea for some reason i thought maybe the windage tray was mounted inside the pan.It was pretty wet when i checked it. Gonna replace the gaskets for sure,if for no other reason than peace of mind.

woodwiz

Reaction score
Did my oil change the other day Valvoline VR1 20-50 racing w/zddp and a napa gold filter by wix. Took her for a warm up new oil cruise and got back and tennis ball size leak after shutdown. The oil pan gasket area was wet again and there was oil dripping from the indention that is in the flywheel dust cover. I reached under and felt oil on the covers exposed side and some drips on the backside of the tranny cover,but it was oil fresh and clean. Now i know this is wishful thinking, It's obviously rear main or oil pan gaskets...i'll take the latter.
Any opinions would be welcome. I'm not repairing either myself,don't have a fancy shmancy lift.

quikbird

Reaction score
dont need a lift. couple jackstands and you are in business.
ps if do the pan the rear main is right there to repair as well
good luck with it

dcala84141

Reaction score
So how did u make out with the oil leak
On mine I also had a oil leak that I was so sure it was a rear main seal leak
At first I thought that it was coming from my oil dip stick tube because I couldn’t get it all the way in the block. Top of engine looked dry where the ascending switch was
Turned out to b the valley pan was leaking

woodwiz

Reaction score
Not sure if the rear main is the culprit yet. Some say as long as you are in there,change it. Looking soon!
This pan is wet even in the front,just thinking it has'nt been serviced in awhile,i saw a little trace of some blue RTV along the right side,pushed out.

Russ Hood

Reaction score
Not sure if the rear main is the culprit yet. Some say as long as you are in there,change it. Looking soon!
This pan is wet even in the front,just thinking it has'nt been serviced in awhile,i saw a little trace of some blue RTV along the right side,pushed out.

I'm in the same boat. I believe mine is the rear main but looks like the oil pan gasket on the rear is really wet. My car sit for a while and after purchase last year I drove it to town a few times and each time oil under the car. I just replaced the front suspension parts a few weeks ago. I need some motivation. I have the engine out of my race car on the lift right now to do first though. Not enough time in the day and weekend.

woodwiz

Reaction score
Yes sir! I bought my car from a classic dealer and they serviced it prior to the shipping day to AZ. They look them over and sell them....Next!
It’s all good!

droptop

Reaction score
Replace your PCV. It could be bad not letting the crankcase breath correctly and adding pressure to the crankcase causing leaks. I always try cheap and easy first.

Back