• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

383 mopar 906 head question

Larry Chilese

Reaction score
I'm rebuilding a 383 that currently has 516 heads but I've acquired 906 heads. I'm going to send them to the machine shop for seats and guides. After I get them back I'm going to put in new valves and springs.
I could use some suggestions as what type valves and springs and where to buy. I've seen a variety of places on line but I'm lost as to what I really need. The Car will be a mild Street RoadRunner 1968.

Also I have a 72 440 engine that has the bosses on the heads toward the rear of the car, seems to me they should be in the front for mounting Alternators etc. Am I wrong about that? Thanks in advance!

V.R.D

Reaction score
you need to go to 440 source to learn what you have . then call a cam shaft company and tell them what you want to do with the car and they will guide you.

other wise you have asked a loaded question.

quikbird

Reaction score
By the time you get done with all the machine work it is almost easier to buy a set of aluminum heads from 440 source or elsewhere. They are just so much better than the old iron heads

Larry Chilese

Reaction score
I put a set of Edlebrock 409 Aluminum heads on a 348 and never again. I fought leaks and leaks, over torqued the heads, replaced gaskets, eventually got the darn things to stop, for a while at any rate.

droptop

Reaction score
I put a set of Edlebrock 409 Aluminum heads on a 348 and never again. I fought leaks and leaks, over torqued the heads, replaced gaskets, eventually got the darn things to stop, for a while at any rate.

The 409 was plagued with head gasket failures from the very start. You will not have that issue with the Chrysler B and RB engines. And I will second the comment about having as much money into rebuilding/updating a factory set of heads as the cost of a set of new heads.

Last edited:

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Also I have a 72 440 engine that has the bosses on the heads toward the rear of the car, seems to me they should be in the front for mounting Alternators etc. Am I wrong about that? Thanks in advance!
Ummm, I didn't think this was possible????? Drivers side bosses to the rear passenger bosses on the front. Doesn't matter how you switch them they come out the same, unless there is a head I don't know about.

V.R.D

Reaction score
Ummm, I didn't think this was possible????? Drivers side bosses to the rear passenger bosses on the front. Doesn't matter how you switch them they come out the same, unless there is a head I don't know about.
that what i was thinking

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
I like the fact of the 906 head with the space in them. We put half dome pistons in my motor. To give it more compression. I wanted flat top but could not be found so we put the half dome in. Floating wrist pin and piston. Hardened piston's. The builder said it was 9.8 to 1 compression. Have read that the 383 was 10 to 1. So what am I missing. Also have the close to possible purple cam grind.

Larry Chilese

Reaction score
Thats where I was heading with the 906 heads. A lot of good information posted about aluminum heads from savvy folks, but I'm tending toward keeping to the Mopar components for an original look. I'm going to pull the heads and look for a set of 906 heads.
I do have one set but I am saving those for a 383. My cars is a RM21 383 car, eventually after the 383 get built I'll swap it.
Can I ask what kind of valve train you used also lifters and push rods.

V.R.D

Reaction score
you need to get a cam shaft package it will come with lifters / springs / cam ask for push rods for the rockers witch could all be bought from a cam manufacturer as a package . they will match the cam to your gearing /trans and engine. get the cam gear and change also.

the 906 head will need harden valve seats as there in no lead in fuel anymore so the new heads will have them. i think if you got stage-4 heads witch are mopar they look stock as they are iron.

a set of 452 are as good as 906 and are iron also they have harden seats in them already.

Terry Hauck

Choadicus
Reaction score
Thats where I was heading with the 906 heads. A lot of good information posted about aluminum heads from savvy folks, but I'm tending toward keeping to the Mopar components for an original look. I'm going to pull the heads and look for a set of 906 heads.
I do have one set but I am saving those for a 383. My cars is a RM21 383 car, eventually after the 383 get built I'll swap it.
Can I ask what kind of valve train you used also lifters and push rods.
The 440 Source Stealth heads are designed to look just like the original 906 heads. Paint them and the only one that will know is you.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
If you go with the 906 heads let the machine shop put the valves in to make sure they seat properly.

Terry Hauck

Choadicus
Reaction score
I like my 440 Source heads. They fit great and I have no problems with them. They are a closed chamber design compared to an open one like the 906s. A ton lighter too.

Back