• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

4 speed question

jays69bird

Reaction score
Okay guys,my 4 speed is not the original known that since I bought the car but the motor matches.I was taking the z bar out to rebuild it so I decieded to scrawl down the vin of the tranny to see what it was,the vin on the tranny was S23L9A146518,broke it down to a 69 either GTX or R/T with the first # missing I can't tell rest is 2dr 440 375 hp 1969built at Lynch rd.Now did the 440 come with the 18 spline like the Hemi or is it a 23 spline which is correct for a 69 383? there are other numbers that i can't decode,I have a hopping out of second problem and I want to rebuild so I want to order the right stuff when the time comes.Seems like if it was the heavier tranny you'd have to swap pressure plate flywheel etc.

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
jays69bird said:
Okay guys,my 4 speed is not the original known that since I bought the car but the motor matches.I was taking the z bar out to rebuild it so I decieded to scrawl down the vin of the tranny to see what it was,the vin on the tranny was S23L9A146518,broke it down to a 69 either GTX or R/T with the first # missing I can't tell rest is 2dr 440 375 hp 1969built at Lynch rd.Now did the 440 come with the 18 spline like the Hemi or is it a 23 spline which is correct for a 69 383? there are other numbers that i can't decode,I have a hopping out of second problem and I want to rebuild so I want to order the right stuff when the time comes.Seems like if it was the heavier tranny you'd have to swap pressure plate flywheel etc.

That should be an 18 spline input shaft Hemi tranny; sounds like it has to come out anyway - yank it and count the splines to verify...

The only thing that would have had to be swapped to facilitate the installation of this tranny is the clutch disk itself...and it's doubtful that they went to the trouble of swapping the input shaft...everything else is the same...

Ray

mac

What ?
Reaction score
from what i think i know, the 18 spline came behind the hemi and the 440-6 BBL cars. any other engine that had a 4 SPD behind it had a 23 spline.

jays69bird

Reaction score
They may have blown up the stock tranny and swapped to the heavier duty,or it jst may be what the junkyard had on hand,I'll probably pull the tranny out as a winter project I'll count the splines then.

ACME A12

Staff member
Reaction score
Sorry to contradict you Mac, but lot's of 440-4 GTXs and R/Ts also got them...refer to the second paragraph of "How 833 Four Speeds Differ"...I think this is pretty common knowledge amongst the four speed crowd...and for the exact same reason that these cars also received the Dana 60 rear...

http://www.slantsix.org/articles/4-spee ... speed1.htm

:jester:
ACME

mac

What ?
Reaction score
like i said "from what i think i know". all this info gets garbled up in my tiny brain. :leave:

ACME A12

Staff member
Reaction score
mac said:
like i said "from what i think i know". all this info gets garbled up in my tiny brain. :leave:

Not a problem brother, I suffer from the exact same affliction... :lol:

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
I'm almost willing to bet,( How is that for a blurred memory statement ) that any car with a 440 with trackpac got one :cheers:

ACME A12

Staff member
Reaction score
69hemibeep said:
I'm almost willing to bet,( How is that for a blurred memory statement ) that any car with a 440 with trackpac got one :cheers:

Too blurry - couldn't read it...but I think you're exactly right...

jays69bird

Reaction score
Well I read up on the 18 spline since its a heavier tranny,it'll live forever behind the basically stock 383 once rebuilt.

ACME A12

Staff member
Reaction score
jays69bird said:
it'll live forever behind the basically stock 383 once rebuilt.

One thousand years from now Al Gore's Chinese-speaking descendants will dig that fully operational tranny out of the permafrost in Zhongguo Province (formerly New York State), hold a news conference in the Chinese Capitol of Mao Tse-tung City (formerly San Antonio), and point to it as the singular catalyst for the Global Cooling/Impending Ice Age that they are currently experiencing... :lol:

Yeah, it'll live behind just about anything...

ACME

mcmopar

Reaction score
Ray, you make me :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:
That's a good one! You are in rare form lately!

jays69bird

Reaction score
ACME A12 said:
jays69bird said:
it'll live forever behind the basically stock 383 once rebuilt.

One thousand years from now Al Gore's Chinese-speaking descendants will dig that fully operational tranny out of the permafrost in Zhongguo Province (formerly New York State), hold a news conference in the Chinese Capitol of Mao Tse-tung City (formerly San Antonio), and point to it as the singular catalyst for the Global Cooling/Impending Ice Age that they are currently experiencing... :lol:

Yeah, it'll live behind just about anything...

ACME
I guess that makes my tranny an inconvenient truth! :lol:

ACME A12

Staff member
Reaction score
69hemibeep said:
ACME A12 said:
mcmopar said:
Ray, you make me :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:
That's a good one! You are in rare form lately!

Good one you been tipping a few today :cheers: :lol:

:lol: Now you're cracking me up Bob...

I swear that I had only consumed two beers out in the garage working on the Malibu when I posted that one...and since it was in the mid-nineties with Four Billion Percent humidity yesterday I am quite certain that I had long since sweated those two out prior to returning to the house... :D

Glad you gents enjoyed that one - we do our best to try to entertain over at Casa de Bambi...

Back