• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

4 speed setup

bstan70rr

Reaction score
I have the potential to get an entire 4 speed setup for $1800 shipped. Transmission, pedals, shifter and all of the nuts and bolts that go with it. I have asked all of the obvious questions I could think of, and here they are:

Q: Is it for a big block? A: yes, it was unbolted from a 383
Q: Are any parts not included? A: everything that was needed to get it out is included--everything they can think of that is needed. They offered to answer specifically about any part. (This is where i might be lost. I have had two four speed cars before, but I never made a transformation or even looked closely at all the little parts around the pedals. They never gave me an ounce of reason to even look. Hell, I can only guess it is all bolted on, but I am not really sure.)
Q: Can the transmission be shifted smoothly? A: yes
Q: Is there a chance the hump is included? A: no, even though the car is being parted out, they do not want to cut on it.
Q: What is the shape of the pedals? shifter? knob? A: my latest e-mail has not been answered.

I was hoping to get some pictures and even offered $25 for a video to show the ease of shifting.

If you were getting ready to put down some cash for this deal, are there any other questions you would ask?

Thanks in advance.

abodybill

Senior Citizen Member
Reaction score
I didn't see anything about a Bell Housing in you list of parts?

For that kind of money it should be included to. :cents:

If they are parting out the car why not pull out the 4 spd. tunnel to?

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
abodybill said:
I didn't see anything about a Bell Housing in you list of parts?

Flywheel, clutch, pressure plate, TOB, bellcrank & mount & related, crossmember, and drive shaft also?

Everything bolts in.

A31PKG

Reaction score
I've personally never done a conversion, but I agree with all of the above....FYI, the 4 speed hump is readily available aftermarket. Also, the steering column for a manual is different.... not a big deal, if your car is a column shifted auto you can just remove the handle (but you'll still have the PRND21 and the bump on the side for the handle - it all depends what kinda look you're after). Not sure if the speedo cable will swap? I would definitely consider pulling the dash, as it will make the install go much easier. While it's out, you can tidy up the wiring, connections etc....

:cents:

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
shlfter rods
throw out fork
bell houslng
flywheel
ball stud for the bell and the frame
z bar
rod from the z bar to the pedal
adjustlng rod off the throw out fork
trans crossmember
shlfter boot and trlm rlng

bstan70rr

Reaction score
Yes to almost everything on everyone's list--except the driveshaft, steering column and boot and trim ring. The shifter is a pistol grip for a console, so that was the deal breaker for me. I do not have a console, and I do not want to get one.

The $1800 was on the threshold. I could have probably gotten the pieces cheaper by going separately, but the shipping would have mounted quickly. And how convenient that all of the pieces were in one package.

Another stickler in the deal was that I had to report the Paypal transaction as private instead of business. That took recourse out as an option in case something went sour. They did offer to let me pay the fees, and I am guessing that would have been over $100.

Anyway, if anyone is interested, check out http://www.forbbodiesonly.com/moparforum/showthread.php?t=28070[url]

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
well you could sell the Plstol Grlp. and l'm pretty sure you can use your drlveshaft.
look at Passlons or Brewers. they offer complete 4 speed set ups. that would be a good prlce gulde.

ALX69RR440

Reaction score
Parts list for a 4 speed transmission swap. I got this from the A body forum a while back. Not sure how accurate it is:

AMD tunnel
Carpet
Clutch pedal set
Brake/Clutch pedal pads
Brake pedal bushings
Clutch pedal bushings
Clutch neutral switch
Reverse indicator light
Lower boot
Upper Boot
Shifter handle
Shifter knob
Shifter knob lock nut
Shifter mechanism
Shifter mechanism mounting plate
Shifter rods
Shifter rod clips and washers
Transmission
Transmission fluid
Reverse light switch
Driveshaft
Rear axle yoke
Clutch pedal rod
Clutch pedal rod and z bar washers and clips
Clutch fork rod
Z bar
Bellhousing ballstud
Bellhousing ballstud bolts (2)
Frame mount ball stud
Frame ball stud reinforcement bracket
Frame mount ball stud nut and lock washer
Ball studseals (2)
Clutch set
Clutch fork
Clutch fork boot
Clutch fork bracket
Clutch fork bracket bolts (2)
Flywheel
Flywheel bolts
Clutch bolts
Pilot bearing

generaljmwlee

Reaction score
I swapped mine to 4spd the list looks good but I used my drive shaft from the auto.
and the ball studs you can get a complete kit for that

moparchris

Reaction score
I have done converted a few cars over the years and that list looks pretty complete. I would piece it together with parts from the internet/ swap meets. It can be done for less than $1800.

dobie

Reaction score
I also converted mine over to a 4 speed. The list looks pretty accurate. The parts that I needed came from Brewer's Performance over the course of a couple of years as my cash allowed. The pedals were given to me though by my uncle, which helped my costs. My original auto driveshaft works fine, and three years ago I picked up a correct steering column, although the auto one worked fine.

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
dobie said:
My original auto driveshaft works fine.

Wasn't sure about the length when I added that to the list in my earlier post - I know that there are length differences on the A-Bodies. Fortunately I've never owned a B-Body with a grannymatic... :D

Jim S.

Reaction score
I have considered swapping mine a couple of times then, I sobered up. :lol: I just don't want to cut the car up being so original. I figure selling it and buying a 4 speed would be a better choice. If a guy was doing the swap wouldn't he also need a different carb, and then there is the issue of the crank being drilled or not? No expert but, I have considered it.

dobie

Reaction score
As far as the crank goes, i dont know with your specific application. Here was my situation: i bought a 383 from the original car it was installed in, a 1968 New Port. It was an auto car of course. The 4 speed bolted right up without an issue of needing anything drilled.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
l ran an auto carb on my 440 for over 20 years.

Back