• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

4 speed tailhousing issue

jerrysdustydog

Reaction score
Well, I finally got to take the '68 Roadrunner to a show, some 50 miles away. Got half way there, then a slight vibration began. Within a half mile, had to stop. It appears that the bushing? in the tail housing failed. Tail housing got so hot it burned off the paint. Have not torn down yet, but when jacked up, lots of movement in the front of drive line. Is this an easy fix? I assume that the driveshaft might have been in need of balancing, but never felt any vibration until the bushing gave up. Should I order a new tailhousing? I did get the casting numbers off it, as I will probably need it with Brewers for parts. I figure a new seal, bushing and tail shaft? Any advise appreciated. About ready to let someone else have the car. My blood pressure is high. :nopity:

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Hope you didnt hurt the housing because there is not much to the bushing

quikbird

Reaction score
Passon would probably be the people to call about this. they would have rebuild kit if needed probably and be pretty knowledgable about what might have gone wrong. I can take one in and out, but have never cracked one open so can't help you there.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
same here, I've tinkered, but far from a guru. I agree with the call to Passion, Jamie is a great guy to deal with.

Back