• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

440 Six pack air cleaner lid question

tokosj

Reaction score
Hi Everyone- In a marvelous find this weekend, i was able to pick up a complete 6 pack setup for my 440... (even came with a NOS holley rebuild kit, and gaskets!)

I'm starting to research some of the pieces parts to get it restored for my 440 RR project and i noticed an anomaly in the air cleaner; Between the two stud holes is a large dimple (or depression) in the stamping. I don't see this on any of the air cleaners that i've found and wonder if anyone has any insight? It doesn't look like a home-modification... the photos aren't great but it's a very clean, even depression. All of the other parts seem to be original Mopar parts... just not sure what to make of it. any help appreciated!

(sorry if this is a repost- i think i made a mistake placing it in "general discussion".)

6 pack dimple 2.jpg

6 pack dimple 1.jpg

6 pack 2.jpg

6 pack.jpg

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Its for holding nuts and bolts :lol: It doesn't belong there, that's what happens when you leave your beer stein on the air cleaner and slam the hood. Nice find

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
Judging by the underside appearance, that looks like a fiberglass repop lid. Original ones were steel.

Base isn't correct for a 69 with the fiberglass hood and it looks hacked up in the front. OK for use with a stock steel hood though.

1970 center carb.

The NOS carb kits may be not worth using if they don't have the gaskets that you can use with ethanol spiked gas. Just be sure what they are before you use them.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
I don't remember what year your car is, looks like a 70 or later setup. Is the lid fiberglass or is it rust pitted ?

tokosj

Reaction score
It's a Steel Lid- it's just got a good deal of paint on the underside. Know where i can get the large base? Also, ran the numbers and yes, it's a 70 center carb. GOOD EYE. Being completely new to 6 packs (this being my first) how are they different at a glance?

tokosj

Reaction score
I have a 1969 Roadrunner that I'm collecting parts for- Have a completely rebuilt 440 ready to go in, but currently has a 4bbl setup... I have a very early press molded A12 Hood to run and thought "wouldn't a 6 pack be a nice addition on day" and then ran across this, so i picked it up.

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Also, ran the numbers and yes, it's a 70 center carb. GOOD EYE. Being completely new to 6 packs (this being my first) how are they different at a glance?

He spotted the bowl vent tube. 1969 carbs do not have this.

Big John

Reaction score
Oh... and it's a six barrel... or 6BBL.

Six pack is Dodge terminology.

A12

Reaction score
IMO that's a complete '70 Six Pack/6bbl setup. The '69 Six Pack/6bbl lid has a wide lip around the entire outer edge and so does the 340 Six Pack AAR/T/A 3X2 lid and unique to those four models. The '69 Six Pack base is "tray" shaped and square cornered/rectangular. Did you also get the 3X2 intake manifold? The '69's were Edelbrock aluminum intakes and the '70+ were Chrysler cast iron......although there is some claim that some very early '70 production 440 3X2's got an Edelbrock aluminum intake but I have never seen any proof of that and no documentation exists that proves that happened.....never say never.

A12

Reaction score
I think that Mike needs more coffee this morning... The carbs are sitting on the intake... :basketcase:

Oh ABSOLUTELY CORRECT on that one John. I'm working on a project and been up since yesterday and figured I might as well stay awake and run over to a friend's electrical shop early this morning instead of later.............hmmmmm what to do but get on here and see what I can screw up or ask a dumb a$$ question or two.......I achieved my goal it seems Thank you John:lol::lol:

(Hey John I was in Syracuse this past October and stopped in Baldwinsville trying to find some info on my Y4 A12 Road Runner....got a few leads, save this for another time)

Mike

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Oh ABSOLUTELY CORRECT on that one John.

(Hey John I was in Syracuse this past October and stopped in Baldwinsville trying to find some info on my Y4 A12 Road Runner....got a few leads, save this for another time)

Mike

It's Ray...but as you already outlined you are running on empty so we'll gloss over that... :lol:

Always interesting to hear stories of the New York A12 oddities...it's kind of like the Bermuda Triangle for A12s... :basketcase:

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Mike seeing you on here reminds me I need to go over to the LOH playground and see how much humidity should be in the air when I fill my tires :lol::lol::lol: I haven't been there in awhile I need to see what's shakin :yesnod:

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
It's Ray...but as you already outlined you are running on empty so we'll gloss over that... :lol:

Always interesting to hear stories of the New York A12 oddities...it's kind of like the Bermuda Triangle for A12s... :basketcase:

why would you let us all believe all these years that your name wss Ray when all along it's actually John. And next we'll find out you'r wife's name is Gertrude and not Tam.....

Big John

Reaction score
Oh ABSOLUTELY CORRECT on that one John. I'm working on a project and been up since yesterday and figured I might as well stay awake and run over to a friend's electrical shop early this morning instead of later.............hmmmmm what to do but get on here and see what I can screw up or ask a dumb a$$ question or two.......I achieved my goal it seems Thank you John:lol::lol:

Mike

Did you find anything?

I believe we talked about your car at length. My old A12 makes its home in B'ville these days.

Big John

Reaction score
why would you let us all believe all these years that your name wss Ray when all along it's actually John. And next we'll find out you'r wife's name is Gertrude and not Tam.....

[video=youtube;qoYsfbq3vMc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qoYsfbq3vMc[/video]

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
that guy was from Youngstown,Ohio, about an hour from me.

Back