• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

5 speed conversion and headers

Denpsim

Reaction score
What headers and 5 speed conversion work together thinking of going with TTi and either a Hurst conversion or SST

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Don't know if you already have bought a mini starter but from what I read you will have to get one with header's. What type of 5 speed are you looking at. I am leaning more towards the gear vendor opp. When this project is up and running. Still in restore mode on the body and sheet metal. Looked at 5 speed have to change the tunnel on floor board. Well someone will correct me if I am wrong. But hope someone else will advise you on this project you are diving into. Best of luck my roadrunner brother. Russ. :facepalm: I have to do what Do.

Coyote

Reaction score
The brand of headers may or may not need a mini starter. My MOPAR did not. I don't know what brand they are they came on the car. If you are running a big block you may want to be sure your 5 gear can handle the torque load. If I remember correctly the most the upgraded Tremec can handle is 600 ft lbs. My '55 I consider frog hair. My sbc engine is rated 575 hp and 560 lb ft. I've not had any problems yet, but it's not launched hard just run hard on AutoX and moderate drags.

I'm on the waiting list at Passon for their 5 speed for my MOPAR. It's another gear on the 833 using the hemi input. It should handle almost anything a big block can put out The wait for delivery is the biggest problem with them. It's my understanding they will not outsource the assembly and they have had some delay on getting parts from suppliers.

The Gear Vendors is a viable option too. A lot of the serious cars on Dragweek use them.

Last edited:

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
I'm on the waiting list at Passon for their 5 speed for my MOPAR. It's another gear on the 833 using the hemi input. It should handle almost anything a big block can put out The wait for delivery is the biggest problem with them. It's my understanding they will not outsource the assembly and they have had some delay on getting parts from suppliers.

We are on that list for my daughters car.

Coyote

Reaction score
Just an FYI, Mcleod the clutch people have a transmission too. I haven't checked it out, just seen quick blurb on it. It's probaby reasonably strong if they are doing it. I really want to stay with the 833 in a MOPAR though.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
I've dealt with Jamie Passion. He won't sell a product with his name on it unless he's 110% sure of the quality.I know he's been working on this OD for several years now, but when he's done with it, it'll be worth the wait.

Coyote

Reaction score
They have them done. I've seen them at the Nats a couple of years ago. That's when both Quickbird and I got on the list. Just a slow process to wait for your number to come up.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Some bad reviews on the Mcleod unit. The Gear Vendors doesn't require body or frame cutting just notch the mount holes and a shorter driveline.

Coyote

Reaction score
Just a stray thought (it strayed because nobody would bother to round it up). At one time I remember a vendor selling an overdrive gear set for the 833. As I recall, it was the gear set used in the "Feather Duster" economy model. It used the 833 4 speed with a gear set that made 4th gear an overdrive. I don't know if they are still available or what the durability would be behind a healthy power plant. Probably a wide gear spacing but with adequate torque it should not be a problem.

quikbird

Reaction score
I'm 370 of course, and I know this because you signed up right after me.

oter answer, I called Jamie and asked him where I was.

Back