• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'68/'69 rr owners want to have more visible brake and tail lights with OE bulbs?

A12

Reaction score
I did this to my '68 road runner taillights because I just didn't think the standard reflective finish was really all that reflective. It's pretty inexpensive to do but a little time consuming but when you see the results day or night time (brake lights especially!) you'll wonder why they were not finished this way in the first place. (maybe they were and I just never have seen new taillight assemblies :D)

The chrome tape is available at a lot of national chain auto parts stores or online and not too expensive. I cut pieces of think cardboard or heavy stock paper to make templates for some of the reflective areas and used some blue light adhesive masking tape to get preliminary shapes of the curved areas. I should have used some window cleaner to wet the area to be able to move the chrome tape a little (like putting decals and how we put motorcycle graphic kits on race dirt bikes) but maybe when I do the A12 runner or the GTX I try that and report back.

Someone said that with this reflective tape and some LED bulbs it should be really bright....I know for sure with just the OE 1034 incandescent bulbs it seems many times brighter day and night.

DSC06130rz1.jpg DSC06128rz1.jpgDSC06120rz1.jpgDSC02323blrmp71.jpg

DSC06130rz1.jpg

DSC06128rz1.jpg

DSC06120rz1.jpg

DSC02323blrmp71.jpg

tallhair

Reaction score
Seems like a great idea. Some pictures of stock tail lights at night, then with the tape Mod would be really cool when you Mod the next one

Ranger

Reaction score
I like this idea and it will be next on my to do list.

In fact, I just did this to a drop light in the garage. I got tired of replacing bulbs every time I dropped the damned thing, so I replaced the bulb with a CF bulb and taped the inside of the shield which was dirty and dull.

A nice side effect is that the shield no longer gets hot so I don't worry about burning or melting any interior components when using it inside the cabin (and I don't burn myself when it falls on my arm while contorted under the car or dash).

Ranger

Reaction score
Did this mod yesterday, but I have to admit, I did not notice much (if any) improvement (I was hoping for and expected much better results), which leaves me to wonder if using crinkled aluminum foil with it's many reflective facets might not have done a better job? Doubt if I'll ever find out.

Ranger

Reaction score
Certainly no shortage of them. The choices are mind boggling, or as Kelly Bundy would say, "The mind wobbles". :crazy:

Last edited:

Ranger

Reaction score
I saw some 1157 LED replacement bulbs at O'Reilly's. They where about $15 a set if I remember correctly and even came in colors. Has anyone tried them? Do they have dual brightness (tail & brake)? I could not find any reference on the package.

Last edited:
Back