• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

68 Performance Hood Treatment

Anthony Chewy

Reaction score
Dropped the car off to the painter Saturday and need to Really know if the paint for the performance hood treatment is organisol. I've been checking everywhere and I read on one Mopar forum that after April of 68 Only the St. Louis plant switched from using Organisol to a low gloss black enamel? Has anyone else heard this or is this just a internet mith? Thanks Anthony

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I saw that thread over on FBBO too. First that I've heard of that - but then again I've never had a '68 RR so I never had any reason to go searching for the answer to this question. Unless you can find any concrete proof of this I'd just go with the Organisol. JMHO.

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
God for bid the rattle can. It is ok for implement's, law mowers and such as yard furniture. But never paint a car with the stuff.

This Old Bird

Reaction score
I owned a '68 hardtop, from 1976, until i sold it in 2012. I was the second owner, the car was never winter driven, never restored. It still wore the factory paint when I sold it. The car had a build date of 5/23/68, and was assembled at the St.Louis plant.

The performance paint treatment on the hood was organsol, although a bit worn from all the years of washing. About the only things ever changed from original equipment were the tires, belts, hoses, and the front seat was reupholstered. Still had the original red line spare in the trunk. .

I've attached some photos of it, and by the way, when I was in high school in '76, I paid $1800 for the car. The original red line spare was still in the trunk. More reference pictures available'
Enjoy!
Stew in Wisconsin
IMG_0566.JPG IMG_0447.JPG

Anthony Chewy

Reaction score
Thanks for the info! That had to be hard to give up after all that time!!! I ended up going with a matt black. Love the way it turned out!

WP_20191005_15_05_21_Pro.jpg

Back