• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

69’ Road Runner Gauge Issues

Reaction score
Hello all, new to this forum and am looking for some advice. Just bought this car, car is a restored driver but still needs its odds and ends. Attached is a picture of my dash. Some of the gauges are not working, the temp (no work), tach (no work) and gas is off (1/2 tank is full and so on). Voltage works. Gauge most importantly I want to fix is the temp, than the tach. I checked the sending unit connection for the temp and it looks good. Which direction would you guys recommend? Fixing the factory gauges or putting in aftermarket (under the dash in front of shifter). Also if I get a universal temp and oil pressure gauges do they work with the existing sending units. Thanks in advance guys.

42D7B622-2805-4824-BF15-9AB40865D19E.jpeg

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
welcome to the site. post up some pics of you car! I've always run a set of manual gauges under the dash, the 50 year old electric gauges are known for not being accurate.

dmartin

Reaction score
Year one is about the best deal on the gauges as far as the gas gauge clean the sending unit in the tank or put a new sock filter on it and make sure the nuts on the back side are all tight and in the center of the socket to get a good ground I have manual gauges for tach temp and most importantly oil

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
No the after market will not work with your sending unit's. Most come with their own. Temp is most important and the oil pressure for sure. But check for ground problem's with the old gauges. This could be your problem and check all connection. A bad ground can be hard to find. The oil pressure should be lined from motor to gauge no sending unit. Temp has it built to the gauge line. Wish ya luck and welcome to the site.

Ranger

Reaction score
I run both, factory and under dash.

P.S.
That's not a voltage gauge, it's an ammeter (known for problems). I bypassed mine after having it cause a problem and just run the under dash volt meter.

Also if I get a universal temp and oil pressure gauges do they work with the existing sending units.
My mechanical temp gauge came with it's own sending unit. I just installed it in the water pump housing, remove the existing plug and install it there. That way you have both.
As for the oil pressure, I simply added a T fitting to the original plumbing and got the mechanical oil pressure out of the T and left the factory electrical sending unit above that.
Road Runner 2 Interior 1.png

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
I always just get the factory gauges working.

The gas gauge and temperature gauge run off the same power source. There's a voltage limiter that plugs into the dash that's supplies 5 volts to both those gauges. It's a bit trouble prone and doesn't age well. Best bet is to replace with a modern electronic version.

To check the gas and temp gauge, the easiest method that will verify that they work is to simply unhook the connections at the tank and ground the wires to the gauges. They should read at their maximum. If they don't, the voltage limiter, mentioned above, is the first suspect.

Gas tank senders are often suspect, although I think a lot get replaced without good reason. It's really necessary to have a good ground to the sender. Chrysler used a clip between the fuel line and the sender line to accomplish this, but the question then becomes "Is the fuel line grounded well?". Usually, the answer is no... The line develops a bit of corrosion here and there... as does the frame... and it doesn't do what is needed. I soldered a tab for a wire onto my 300's tank sender and then ran a wire to a good ground to eliminate that problem.

DBiTpcR.jpg

Usually the temp sender works or doesn't work... I have seen where too much goop or teflon tape on the threads makes for a bad ground, but that's not real common. Use a proper replacement sender if you decide to replace it, but I doubt seriously if it's the problem.

The tach runs off 12 volts, sourced directly from the fuse block. A gray wire with a white stripe runs to the negative side of the coil. Make sure that wire is in place. Are you running a stock ignition? The factory tach may not work with some aftermarket ignitions.

An accessory oil pressure gauge is a great idea... I strongly suggest running an electrical gauge rather than a mechanical gauge. The mechanical gauge will have a tube that runs into the interior. If (or when) that tube breaks, it makes a real mess inside your car. Been there.. done that... You can leave the oil light sender in place. If you look at the top of the block where the sender is, you'll see another plug that you can remove and put the new sender in that hole.

The factory gauges are pretty good. You just have to have the right pieces in place and working.

This will get you started. We can properly diagnose the gauges more thoroughly if needed.

Ranger

Reaction score
I strongly suggest running an electrical gauge rather than a mechanical gauge. The mechanical gauge will have a tube that runs into the interior. If (or when) that tube breaks, it makes a real mess inside your car.
I learned the hard way, a long time ago to only use copper tubing on a mechanical oil pressure gauge.

P.S.
My water temp and oil pressure are mechanical (my preference).

Big John

Reaction score
I learned the hard way, a long time ago to only use copper tubing on a mechanical oil pressure gauge.

P.S.
My water temp and oil pressure are mechanical (my preference).
Copper is better than the plastic tube, but I've seen that break too.

Reaction score
I appreciate all the information here guys. I will follow up on this thread after troubleshoot this. Thanks, Drew

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Well Big John and Ranger are the best guy's to answer these question's. It is good to have them around to help with the problem's that these car's have. Good luck my friend and hope it all work's out ok for ya. :thumbsup:

Big John

Reaction score
Well Big John and Ranger are the best guy's to answer these question's. It is good to have them around to help with the problem's that these car's have. Good luck my friend and hope it all work's out ok for ya. :thumbsup:
Actually, I usually give answers that people don't like.

I believe in diagnosing the problem before filling the parts cannon with Auto Zone's crap and firing it at the car. I also believe you should try to find the answer yourself first, rather than asking on the forum where the air goes in the tire. I believe that they are old cars, and you have to understand that they aren't new ones and you shouldn't expect them to be. Replacing a good original part with an offshore knockoff "improvement" because you don't want to wirebrush the dirt off the old one doesn't cut it with me either. i also think that there are people that shouldn't have these cars.

I'm old and stuck in my ways... Never cared what anyone thinks either. I've been around these cars since they were brand new.. Made mistakes, recovered from them. Raced them, showed them, driven them to work everyday.

Since I sold this forum, it's gone to shit... I still try to help once in a while... Sometimes it's appreciated and sometimes not.

Goon

Reaction score
I'm also having the same problem with fuel gauge. tried grounding the sending unit also. by the way Big John, cigar & pipe smoke is 100% better than cigarette smoke, if I see someone smoking a cigar or pipe I have to stroll on over to get a whiff, reminds me of my Grandpa.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
naw...the old bastard that's not in the pic....

Reaction score
Ok I played with the car while my wife had her girlfriends over (good excuse to keep me in the garage). Tach not working issue: my ignition is a unilite electronic and I was told that the factory tach will not work with. I’m going to correct this with a universal tach but am still trying to figure out where I want it. Temp issue: I took the connection to the sending unit off, grounded it out and the gauge moved a 1/4 inch towards hot. To correct all gauges I’m going to install a 3 gauge set (volt, temp and oil pressure) under the dash. Only issue I see is the oil, I would like to retain the stock light and also use the aftermarket gauge but I need a brass “t” for this. Does anyone sell this? As for the fuel gauge issue that is a project for another day. Attached are engine bay issues. Thanks Guys!

D0A18DD4-E832-4B62-928C-25CD6798073B.jpeg

98D0FC3A-C5F7-4C63-8607-C02B01C284F4.jpeg

Back