• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

69 Runner needing resto

69RunnerMike

Reaction score
I wanted to get some opinions/advice on 1969 Road Runner for sale on eBay. The car is a barn find and in rough shape, but seems pretty complete. Highly optioned. Seller says it runs and drives good and has put several thousand miles on it since he got it running. Sounds like it had been sitting since 1984. Transmission shifts good and no leaks and doesn't blow smoke. Seller is asking 21K. I'm thinking that is really high, but don't know what a Runner in this condition should go for. Any advice or info would be greatly appreciated. If the wife doesn't leave me, I might pull the trigger on this.

Roadcuda

Reaction score
IMHO, that car will need a lot of work so unless you want a full blown project I'd keep looking. And his asking price is, well, let's just say just in dream land, that car is not worth that much.

69RunnerMike

Reaction score
IMHO, that car will need a lot of work so unless you want a full blown project I'd keep looking. And his asking price is, well, let's just say just in dream land, that car is not worth that much.
Appreciate that. I agree it does need a lot of work. Just for a frame of reference, in your opinion what should I expect to pay for a Runner in that condition?

MoparDan

Reaction score
It's hard to say what condition it is in but just from the rust and damage I see in the pictures it will need a lot of work. I do not know your skill level but it will need a lot of body work. Roof skin, quarter panel, K frame and much more. I would more on.

69RunnerMike

Reaction score
It's hard to say what condition it is in but just from the rust and damage I see in the pictures it will need a lot of work. I do not know your skill level but it will need a lot of body work. Roof skin, quarter panel, K frame and much more. I would more on.
I'm very handy and a quick learner, I can rebuild an engine but have never done body work before. I thought I would farm out what I wasn't comfortable doing myself. The consensus I am getting so far is that this car is in worse shape than the seller is saying. What would you say the car is worth based on what you can see in the pics?

MoparDan

Reaction score
My opinion is subjective. I've seen 69 Roadrunners go for as much as 60k This one restored may go for. 40-45K. That being said without a complete look over I wouldn't be comfortable giving over 13K and that may be generous. I'm seeing 6-7K in body parts alone before pulling the carpet and scraping off the undercoat.(assuming you use good sheet metal like AMD or Goodmark) He is accepting offers. Anyone else care to chime in? I could be wrong.

kariverson

Reaction score
The sellers best offer is $17500. I still think it's too high.
Did you get it? I was watching it on ebay and it went unsold.
I had offered this guy 17,000 for it when I saw it on FB marketplace, where he has it listed for 20k. He told me straight up never gonna happen. Now that I think about it, I would be more comfortable at 15,000 really.

69RunnerMike

Reaction score
Did you get it? I was watching it on ebay and it went unsold.
I had offered this guy 17,000 for it when I saw it on FB marketplace, where he has it listed for 20k. He told me straight up never gonna happen. Now that I think about it, I would be more comfortable at 15,000 really.
Yes I did buy it. I offered him 18k and we settled on 19k. Way more than I wanted to spend on it. Like you I felt more comfortable with 15k. I really liked the car so I went for it.

kariverson

Reaction score
Yes I did buy it. I offered him 18k and we settled on 19k. Way more than I wanted to spend on it. Like you I felt more comfortable with 15k. I really liked the car so I went for it.
Nice one my friend. Congratulations! It has a beautiful patina too. Drive it like that for a while :p Love the fact that it went to an enthusiast!
There is a bird out there for me too some place. :)

69RunnerMike

Reaction score
Nice one my friend. Congratulations! It has a beautiful patina too. Drive it like that for a while :p Love the fact that it went to an enthusiast!
There is a bird out there for me too some place. :)
Thank you. I will have to drive it like it is for a while. I can't afford to restore it right now because I spent so much to get it.

kariverson

Reaction score
Thank you. I will have to drive it like it is for a while. I can't afford to restore it right now because I spent so much to get it.
Create a thread for it here when you can. I would love to see it with new life. Yeah that's what I'm planning to, since I'd be doing most of the work myself and not at a shop, I would maybe media blast the underside, fix any problems there. Bring out its patina with some rust converter, preserve it, clear coat it and drive it like that. Kickass ride.

MoparDan

Reaction score
Create a thread for it here when you can. I would love to see it with new life. Yeah that's what I'm planning to, since I'd be doing most of the work myself and not at a shop, I would maybe media blast the underside, fix any problems there. Bring out its patina with some rust converter, preserve it, clear coat it and drive it like that. Kickass ride.
Snarfdog I don't think I would drive this car. the K frame is cracked and bent.

cracked.jpg

MoparDan

Reaction score
Create a new thread. It will get more views than this one. Changing subjects in an old thread can go un-noticed.

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Maybe you can find a K member in better shape than that one. Or go with the new tube frame one that is sold. Good luck just thing's we run into. :thumbsup:

Back