• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

70 Roadrunner 383hp or 383mag. How to tell?

woodwiz

Reaction score
Just bought a 1970 RR. It has a orange block 383 4bbl.Torqueflite auto without a/c. How can i determine whether it is a 383hp or a 383magnum? I remember somewhere seeing the word magnum on the air cleaner years ago (45) to be exact. Experts chime in please!!

woodwiz

Reaction score
OK! Thought it was a cam thing or bigger valves...You are correct MAGNUM sounds way cooler than HP!

Plybeep68

Acceleratii Incredibus
Reaction score
Didnt Plymouth just put "Four Barrel " instead of Magnum ? I think Chrysler used "TNT" didnt they ?

richardgoesfast

Reaction score
I've got a 70 with original 383 and my understanding is that they used the 440 heads on all 383's so that's why they are referred to as 383 Magnums. Pretty sure that was standard in 70. Hope that helps that's what I've read from several sources.

cosgig

Reaction score
I've got a 70 with original 383 and my understanding is that they used the 440 heads on all 383's so that's why they are referred to as 383 Magnums. Pretty sure that was standard in 70. Hope that helps that's what I've read from several sources.

There is no such thing as 440 heads, they all used the same heads after 1967, which were the 906 castings. They evolved into the later 452 heads, with a slightly different port angle and hardened exhaust seats.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Wedge heads are wedge heads in that era. But then there is the chicken or the egg. Were 906 heads designed for a 440 and also used on the 383 or visa versa LOL

Alan Johnston

Reaction score
Check compression ratio. My 440 engine is a 1970 year with lower compression ratio 9.7:1.

harley1960

Reaction score
Just bought a 1970 RR. It has a orange block 383 4bbl.Torqueflite auto without a/c. How can i determine whether it is a 383hp or a 383magnum? I remember somewhere seeing the word magnum on the air cleaner years ago (45) to be exact. Experts chime in please!!
it's stamped on the block below distributor. HP 383

Joeyt68

Reaction score
383 is the displacement not hp. They didn’t have 383 horsepower

dbc105

Reaction score
There is no Plymouth Magnum, that is the Dodge name for the high performance engine. Plymouth called them Super Commando. To the bes tof my knowledge all RoadRunner 383 engines were 335 horse power. cosgig is right about the heads, in '68 they went to open chamber heads from a closed chamber. Given everything I've read it looks to me in '68 the pistons were a little higher in the bore to make up for the bigger chamber and keep the compression up. Today, if you just by a replacement piston they have 1 part number for all, closed and open chamber heads so you would need to know that else on a '68 up you will kill your compression. All this applies to the 383, I don't know about the pistons in the 440. The RR cam was also used in the 440s, it was a little more cam than the stock 4 barrel cam. One big thing that helped the automatic RR cars also was the torque converter. Back in the day they called it a Hemi converter, it has a higher than stock stall, maybe 2200 rpm. My guess is this was the standard converter for an automatic Hemi. like I said, my guess. My car has a 383 so that is what I researched. If you want hard details check out Uncle Tony's Garage on UTube. He has forgotten more about big block MOPARs than I will ever know. Hope this helps.

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Magnum is Dodge.
Super Commando is Plymouth
TNT is Chrysler

Yep. Just marketing differences between the divisions. Such a simple concept, and yet so hard for so many to follow...
Reminds me of trying to explain the distinction between Dodge's Six Pack and Plymouth's Six Barrel. That too is usually akin to kicking the ant hill... :rolleyes:

Back