• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

70 Roadrunner quarter panel badging?

woodwiz

Reaction score
Anyone have knowledge of how this quarter panel (road runner) badge right behind the scoop on the left and right rear fenders is attached?

WWheeler

Reaction score
The emblem should have studs that are part of that emblem. Those studs fit into the holes in the panel and then the stamped metal nuts are used to secure. You will want to use sealer in the nut cavity to seal the holes.

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
If you don't have holes and don't want to drill them use 3M emblem tape. Have to use a X-acto knife to cut it the shape you want.

WWheeler

Reaction score
I thought about doing that on the trunk lid for the ‘70 and would work. Mine had the tape stripe delete on the trunk lid and therefore uses an emblem. Because it is on the lip of the lid, you cannot access the back side. So they use the plastic inserts and the emblem is held on with that. The new emblems are softer metal than the originals for some odd reason. I could not get the new emblem to press in without mangling it. Instead of the tape and since I already had the holes, I drilled out the plastic inserts enough so the emblem would slide in. Then used black weatherstrip adhesive and filled the holes. Worked ok.

woodwiz

Reaction score
I don't have the holes for the emblem.Did all 70 roadrunners have this emblem at the scoop or could theholes have been filled at some point due to bodywork?? Also is there a version of the emblem that does not need holes drilled in the body?

1968 man

Reaction score
They all had holes , you may be able to see the original location from inside the car behind the panel , if it’s a Road Runner it had the emblems in the quarters. Or at least the five I have owned over the years did . If you have the stipe on the back of the deck lid it didn’t have one there. If you need measurements on the location I will try and help, I have mine removed right now.

WWheeler

Reaction score
I replace the quarters and had to drill new holes but luckily had the old panel to go by. Still, it is nerve wracking. First there is the obvious issue of where it goes. Second is that it needs to be level but what do you go by as being level? Third is that the holes are only SLIGHTLY larger than the stud size because the holes position the emblem. Because of that, the holes have to be perfectly centered for the emblem to fit. When I drilled mine, the bit drifted a bit and ended up having to drill one hole a little bit bigger. Not a big deal, but you can only go so far before the hole starts showing around the emblem.

Be careful and remeasure a hundred times before you drill. You only get one shot!

woodwiz

Reaction score
Would removing the backseat inner panels get me a view of the possible existing holes or can they be found thru the trunk or up from the bottom between the quarter in front of the rear fenderwell??

woodwiz

Reaction score
That looks good,would be nice if the scoop was an easy pull and one could get in that way,but nothing is that easy!

1968 man

Reaction score
I will look when I get back to the shop. I think you can see from the back seat area but not sure. Mine is apart so it will be easy to take a look and see.

WWheeler

Reaction score
Are the holes perpendicular to the vertical rear edge of the scoop (where it fits to the quarter)? Can't go by the front edge of the scoop because it is oddly shaped.

1968 man

Reaction score
To help out all I know to do is take a new chalk box and put baby powder in it and line it up straight with the holes and snap a line, the car is getting a new paint job so I don’t mind, it may take a day or two but I will get it done and post some photos.

1968 man

Reaction score
I looked from the back seat area today and yes you can see the emblem studs right in front of the wheel well just below the 1/4 glass.

1968 man

Reaction score
Ok, laid out chalk lines on my car today I hope this help with the location of 1/4 panel emblems on a 70 road runner. My buddy look at me and said what the hell are you doing ? I laughed and said, I’m laying out the line for my two tone paint scheme. He just shook his head and walked away. Lol upload_2020-12-21_20-10-4.jpeg1862DD5E-07EC-4339-A2EF-55439A6C7766.jpeg1B63119B-68CF-4D39-AF7A-10FCE2A3A9B8.jpeg85B49D9C-898D-459D-9235-24E482069E7B.jpeg8573D1D8-C788-41FF-9AAC-149E9ED9E034.jpegDFBBA9B5-EDFD-4DD0-A555-8071BEBEDF25.jpeg

Back