• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'71 road runner Steering Column Collapsed or Not - How to Tell (Coupler Rebuild)

road robert

Reaction score
Hey Gang, back in Spring I first dropped the steering column to fix the tachometer and noticed that the studs and bolt that secure it through breakaway washers under the dash were all the way at one end with the shaft pulled all the way out suggesting that the shaft is too short or collapsed. This also means that the shaft is at the end of the steering couple near the cap. Please see pics:
Steering wheel shaft pushed in away from driver (studs not close to bracket)
Steering column pushed in.jpg
Steering wheel pulled out toward driver (hitting coupler cap) closer but not in center
Steering column pulled out.jpg
So I was told to pull out the steering column to try to stretch/"uncollapse" it it by hitting the coupler shaft pins upward with the steering wheel on the ground. BEFORE I DO THIS CAN YOU TELL ME IF IT IS IN FACT COLLAPSED BY THE BELOW PICS? I don't want to break it!!!
IMG_0758.jpg
It measures 48 1/8" from the steering wheel on the ground to the end of the shaft.
IMG_0759.jpg
IMG_0760.jpg

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
It appears to be partially collapsed, it should be straight also. Repair? I don't know.

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Agree with Mr. HemiBeep's assessment. Does the lower part of the shaft slide in and out? If so the plastic rivets are compromised.

road robert

Reaction score
Thanks, the shaft is quite rigid and straight although the mesh part around it does look a little off. I have manual steering and don't know if it is the correct shaft (manual or power) or not I bought the car recently this way. Where is the shear pin and how can I tell if if it is the correct shaft?

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
The wire cage can get a little bent. But that one dose not look bad. If you mean not in line or straight you can work it out. Mine was out a bit and straighten it by hand. Yes their is a plastic piece when you pull the hole shaft out you will see it. The pins should line up in the holes. Mine did not want to line up like yours but found out I could pull it up and compress the spring in the column. Then put the washer on it and the plastic retainer. Just a thought. I would take the shaft all the way out not to hit on any thing with the steering wheel on it. Brake it down to just the shaft.

road robert

Reaction score
rr steering column shaft stretch setup 2.jpg Update! I was able to "stretch" the shaft by more than 1" by hitting the shaft upward while standing on the steering wheel (see pics) - not sure where zI need to be and don't want it to come out!
rr steering column shaft stretch setup 1.jpg

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Look's like that is all you needed for the stud to move into the bracket hole. May be this will make it work out for you sure hope so. Good luck and let us know how it work's out.

mopar jack

Reaction score
If you beat on the shaft you will most likely break the shear pins that are intended to allow the shaft to compress in a collision. The only thing that will be holding the pot coupler together is a small roll pin and the cover. I recommend you install this clamp for safety.

GEN7376SC11_COUPLER_CLIP_AND_COVER_2000__15344.1561516420.jpg

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
I saw that retainer clamp some where you don't have to pull any thing and it goes on. Think I saw it on E bay.

mopar jack

Reaction score
That clamp was used buy chrysler in a technical bulletin to help repair steering column couplings.

Attachments

• 4881871-SteeringColumnTSB.pdf
    391.7 KB · Views: 5
Back