• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'71 rr Bucket vs. Bench Front Seat

road robert

Reaction score
After removing my driver side front bucket seat to remove the instrument cluster I noticed that the outboard seat holes go through a frame underneath each side BUT the inner holes (near the floor hump) do not have any supporting sheet metal, just holes. Was this an original bench seat car? Also please see pic for cracks around the driver side front inner mount hole in floor:

road runner seat hole.jpg

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
I would say it was a bench seat and was replaced with bucket's. They did not put those support's in when doing it. It is amazing what we find out later after having a car. Only if they could talk to us and tell the story.

road robert

Reaction score
Thanks, are the inner support plates for bucket seats welded to the top (inside) floor or welded underneath the floor (bottom) or just placed? Where can I but some? I met a guy last weekend converting a '70 from bench to buckets and he had plates he planned to weld to the inside floor (I was driving by and saw his other Mopar, stopped and visited but did not exchange numbers...)
P.S. How can I change my name from my real to a cool nickname?

I just realized that according to MyMopar 1969-1974 Fender Tag Decoder that M6XV: Trim - Opt. Decor Group, Vinyl Bucket Seats, Orange/Black. So can I believe that is correct? The fender tag matches the dash VIN & engine + trans too.

Last edited:

road robert

Reaction score
i don't know have no history of car, bought from private collector in Maine who owned for 13 years and he bought it from Texas

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Sound's like the floor got replaced at one time or another. Think AMD has those plates but not sure for your year of car.

quikbird

Reaction score
weld them underneath. I don't think there is any special plate. just use some 3/16 steel about 4 x 6 inches. photo size. don't forget to drill the hole. should work fine for you.

Back