• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'71 rr Steering Column In/Out of Gearbox Position Manual Steering

road robert

Reaction score
I dropped the steering column to remove the instrument cluster at which time found that only the 2 nuts on the studs were securing the column (3rd lower bolt missing) and that they were not centered in the rectangular breakaway plastic washers, were towards the steering wheel end (and breakaways broken). I also had to remove the 3 bolts down at the firewall to get it to drop, which I thought was strange. I bought new breakaway washers and can pull the column closer to the driver to better center the mounting studs in the 3 breakaway washers (still not quite centered but closer) but then the column shaft is farther out of the gearbox. My question is does it matter if the shaft is pushed all the way into the gearbox or pulled out (it stops ~ 1" out) so the 3 column fasteners are better centered in the breakaways? I wrapped blue tape around the shaft to see the 2 positions (in/out) for reference…

P.S. This car was completely taken apart some time ago for a rotisserie resto so I am finding a lot of little stuff that is wrong…

Thanks!

quikbird

Reaction score
need to make sure column is solid on both the steering box and in end of column. need enough of the connecter in there. other than that can put wherever you like it

road robert

Reaction score
Sorry forgot pics - What is the piece in between the shaft (marked with blue tape w/ arrow moves in/out) and the steering box? I would prefer to have the shaft pulled out of this piece (towards the driver) so that the 3 column fasteners are better centered in the plastic breakaway washers but don't know how it's supposed to be.
road runner steering shaft in.jpg road runner steering shaft out.jpg

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I agree w/ Quickie. That piece is called the steering coupler. It is keyed (slotted with square bushings) and the shaft can move up and down inside it. The breakaways are also slotted for movement, so there really quite a bit of adjustment in there at both ends. You can slide the shaft inside the coupler to see where it bottoms out at both ends and pretty much guess where center is. Personally, I'd rather have the shaft deeper in the coupler than rubbing up against the seal and retainer.

road robert

Reaction score
Me too but the problem is that under the dash where the column attaches via the 2 studs, 1 bolt through breakaway washers it is way off center (see pics in/out):

Pulled OUT toward driver stud is stationery (still not close to center) this is how it was and breakaway washers were destroyed:
Steering column pulled out.jpg

Pushed IN toward firewall stud is stationary (shaft all the way into coupler but not even close to breakaway washer attachment)?!?
Steering column pushed in.jpg

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Is their any adjustment on the steering column bracket. It might be on up side down. Give that a thought. Some one might have rebuilt the steering column and put that bracket on wrong. :(

Rapid Transit

Just A Traveler In Time
Reaction score
I'm not clear on this particular car and your problem.
But I'm very familiar with 70 A bodies and their collapsible columns.
I appears that your dimension or the length between your coupler and your steering wheel is too short?
If that is the case, perhaps your column has been compress and shortened with the parts that slip into each other..
There are some little plastic rivets that hold the telescoping sections in place.
I don't see that they are really necessary, and I've run shafts for years after lenghting them in converting power to manual with requires a longer shaft.
I suppose they are there to prevent this and the sections from compressing until someone impacts the steering wheel.
Is this a possibility that has happened to your car?
If so you can pull the sections back into position and secure the column bracket in place and have the coupler where it should be as well.

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Rapid Transit is on to one possibility. Another - and I am purely speculating based on your photos - but another possibility is that it might be a power steering column pressed into service on a manual box??? If someone swapped a manual steering coupler (they have different diameter splined holes) onto a power steering shaft this might account for your disparity in length. Like RT stated, check to see if the plastic rivets are compromised. If yes, stretch the telescoping part of the shaft to suit your needs. If no, start taking some measurements and google is your friend. Shaft length info is out there. You could always break the rivets and stretch the shaft if necessary - although I am not advocating that.

road robert

Reaction score
No idea about the history. I purchased this car recently from a private collector (~30 Mopars!). He owned it for 13 years and bought it from a dealer in Texas in 2007 and only put ~ 1000 miles on it. Unfortunately NO documentation or repair history whatsoever but has a fender tag and the #s matching engine/trans 4spd w/ 3.91 sure grip bucket seats, chin spoiler and go wing AND color along with the car being "local" I had to buy it! None of them are perfect and until you own it you don't know what's wrong... Can you please send pics or instructions how to pull the sections back into position? This might be what I'm dealing with... Thanks!

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
I looked on U Tube on rebuilding a Plymouth b body steering column. The guy show's how to take it apart and all the part's in it. Hope this will help you. Russ.

Rapid Transit

Just A Traveler In Time
Reaction score
No idea about the history. I purchased this car recently from a private collector (~30 Mopars!). He owned it for 13 years and bought it from a dealer in Texas in 2007 and only put ~ 1000 miles on it. Unfortunately NO documentation or repair history whatsoever but has a fender tag and the #s matching engine/trans 4spd w/ 3.91 sure grip bucket seats, chin spoiler and go wing AND color along with the car being "local" I had to buy it! None of them are perfect and until you own it you don't know what's wrong... Can you please send pics or instructions how to pull the sections back into position? This might be what I'm dealing with... Thanks!

I'm sure I can post some pictures that might explain it tomorrow or the weekend more likely

I believe I have some sections handy from A bodies.

Rapid Transit

Just A Traveler In Time
Reaction score
Probably A bodies
Note one is longer.
Not sure.
Little plastic pins and indents.
Doesn't really do much.20200528_103200.jpg 20200528_103237.jpg 20200528_103152.jpg 20200528_103156.jpg

Back