• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'73 Road Runner decal questions

taguy16

Reaction score
Would the engine callout decal color on the hood be black if your main decal color was white? Were these originally separate decals that got applied over the stripes or were they printed on the stripes themselves ? Were the Road Runner running birds separate decals that were applied over the sail panel stripes or printed on these stripes as well?

What's the deal with reflective stripes that are available from the stripe vendors? Were reflective stripes ever an option or is this something the stripe vendors cooked up? From what I've read online about white reflective decal vinyl it isn't truly white(?) so I don't know how good it would look anyway regardless. Were the engine callouts reflective (if these were separate decals)?

Sorry if these are dumb questions but I want to make sure to get this right as these decals are expensive, and the decals on my car were long gone when I got the car (along with the paint). If someone would post a picture of these details I would surely appreciate it.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
my '73 was dark green, had the black stripe, with the engine numbers white. so if you have a white stripe the engine numbers would be black. the birds are part of the stripe. IIRC the stripes were reflective from the factory.
PTDC0003.JPG

taguy16

Reaction score
Thanks. According to Jims Auto Parts reflective stripes from the factory ended in 1972; after that they were plain. I'll try the above mentioned place to get their opinion.

To make things even more complicated on the topic of reflective decals I've seen the engine call-out and bird decals being advertised as reflective. Maybe before 1973 when the stripes were reflective these were reflective as well, but I think it would be odd to have plain stripes paired with reflective birds and engine numbers.

Back