• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

74 roadrunner rallye dash

Daves 74

Reaction score
Hello everyone. New to the site. Wanted to know if anyone could give me some advice. There are a few wires near the instrument cluster behind the dash that I can not figure out. Bought wiring diagram and factory wiring manual. Still no clue. Car is a 3 speed manual, 318 ( eventually 440 ). OKAY sooo there are two sets of heavy gauge red and black wires with cooper eyelets. I know that the one set goes to the ammeter. Not sure on the second set. I have a heavier gauge gray wire with a steel eyelet. No clue. There are two blue/white tracer wires with a clip end. No clue where it goes. I have to say that if you tell me ( It ) goes to a ballast or resistor I probably won't know where it is. Electrical is not a strong point of mine. I can send pictures if needed. Sorry for the long post. Any help is VERY much appreciated. Thanks

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
First welcome. Second I'm not familiar with the 74 model but I can tell you the ballast would be under the hood so it's not that.

Daves 74

Reaction score
Hello, no the car is a real roadrunner. Here are a few other unique things about it. It has a, what I call, 3/4 vinyl roof, a console, rocker molding ( factory ) and rear window defrost. I have the build sheet, in fact found two build sheets. Think someone changed the rear seat at some point and that is how it got there. Thanks for the interest and response.

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Welcome from Fla. Sorry no help on that wiring. You say that you have the wiring diagram. If so you should be able to trace out where it goes. Dose the car have a tach. Maybe wire's for that but you don't have it. Just my two cent's. :thumbsup2:

Daves 74

Reaction score
Welcome from Fla. Sorry no help on that wiring. You say that you have the wiring diagram. If so you should be able to trace out where it goes. Dose the car have a tach. Maybe wire's for that but you don't have it. Just my two cent's. :thumbsup2:
Hello Fla. The one diagram shows one set of black and red wires with eyelets going to the ammeter. The Chrysler Service wiring training manual shows multiple wires going to the ammeter???? The one diagram does not even show any blue with white tracer wires ( 2) with a clip. Not even sure if I have the equipment/ features it goes to. And I can't find anything referring to the gray wire with the steel eyelet. I imaging anyone with a clue about reading these manuals would be able to trace. I can do some, but not all. I have a tach and the wires are hooked up. Thanks for the suggestion. I will take anything that comes my way.

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Dose every thing work in the car. As well as the dash. If so then it is not unusual to have extra wires on a wiring harness. For another application. Is your car an AC car or non?

Daves 74

Reaction score
Dose every thing work in the car. As well as the dash. If so then it is not unusual to have extra wires on a wiring harness. For another application. Is your car an AC car or non?
It is non-ac. I would love to do a check that way but sadly I do not have the motor built yet. I figured I would restore the body and any components that I could over the last couple years. I am getting close to being ready for a motor, but unless another large stimulus checks is coming, it may be a while. I wanted to finish the interior so I could call that DONE finally. A small victory.

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
I under stand that. Trying to get all my inside part's done also before dropping the motor in. All the wiring and have finished car to put motor in. Will hold off on the grill and head light's up front so not to mess that up while installing motor. Those wires could be for the A/C might check into that. I have looked on the web for other info as well. On this car it is a 69. Know the year's are different. Wish I knew more to help ya out. We are getting more 71-74 runner people here. Maybe one of them can give you an answer.

Daves 74

Reaction score
I under stand that. Trying to get all my inside part's done also before dropping the motor in. All the wiring and have finished car to put motor in. Will hold off on the grill and head light's up front so not to mess that up while installing motor. Those wires could be for the A/C might check into that. I have looked on the web for other info as well. On this car it is a 69. Know the year's are different. Wish I knew more to help ya out. We are getting more 71-74 runner people here. Maybe one of them can give you an answer.
From what I can see, you have a great looking car. I would have loved to go to those years but even junk cars are bringing crazy prices. Thank you for your interest and time.

droptop

Reaction score
318 with 3 speed was the standard drive train for 74 RR. How about some pictures. Very fond of the 71-74’s Here is my 71.

C33A1703-CEE2-442C-9171-76227F8CE2F4.jpeg

roadrunnerbob

Reaction score
when the motor is out i check the wiring with a battery charger works great and you can make sure everything works

Back