• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

833 input shaft?

popslavaz

Reaction score
Converting from auto to 4 speed in my '71 RR. How much need's to be cut off a stock input shaft to not bottom out in a non drilled automatic crankshaft?Like to have it ready for installation when help arrives. Thanks POPS

quikbird

Reaction score
You need to have it drilled and use a pilot bushing. Otherwise it wobbles around a little and wears too much

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm with Quikie on this one. Just not a fan of cutting off metal that was put there for a reason. And yes, I know that it has been done before...still not a fan. My two cents.

quikbird

Reaction score
If you have that much of the car apart it is not that much more work to pull the engine. It is possible to turn the engine over on the stand and ease the crank out without taking everything out of the engine. it takes two people to do it but it can be done. we did it on coyotes engine after he realized he had a auto crank when he went to install the pilot bushing. I still make fun of him for it.

Coyote

Reaction score
Embarassing! I scored a deal on a just out of the machine shoppe crank, auto of course. Too soon olde, too late smart! Had the whole shootin’ match balanced. I had it together and pilot bushing was an OOPS! I Would Never think about cobbling on the input! Took it back apart, did it right. I would recommend you do the same.
Worth the peace of mind.

Back