• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A833 Overdrive Grinding/whining noise? Normal?

DirtyBird

Reaction score
Hi all,

Newbie here, please be patient :)

I had a guy do enough work on my bird to get it in driving condition before it got shipped to me in California.
I asked him to swap the original 4 speed for an overdrive so I could cruise the freeway from time to time (and I could not afford a Tremec, Passon kit or other tranny at the moment).
He found an A833 OD in decent shape and swapped it out for me (Yes, I kept the old 4 speed!)

I did some research when I was looking for that OD option and I know about the Passon kit for this OD, and I also read something about having to make some modifications when performing this swap....but when I talked to the guy who installed it, he said its a straight swap. I trusted him as he knows way more than I do about cars.

So I now have the car and have been driving it around town. It seems to shift fine but makes this whiny grinding noise in 1st and 2nd gear when I release the gas (when the rpms go down). Also when I start it up, sometimes I hear the tranny whinning or grinding or something... it doesn't sound right...

I asked him about this and he said these trannys where just known for being loud and making noise....but something doesn't feel right and I'm worried that its not just a simple swap...I'm running 3.55 gears, posi and a 69 dated 440.

I know I'm not great at describing this but I'll get better once I read more and find my Bird voice :)

Thanks for any and all help/advice, it's much appreciated!

Last edited:

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Is it an OD trans Aluminum case? Or the kit in a A833. The Aluminum OD is weak and meant to be used with small engines

DirtyBird

Reaction score
Pretty sure its the Aluminum OD. I know its not a kit. Is there something I should be expecting with this tranny? How long can I expect to drive it? I really can't afford much else yet...

droptop

Reaction score
They have a larger dia. front bearing. They can be milled down to fit your bell housing, but it may have been milled slightly off center. And yes, they are a very weak tranny. (That sounded wrong) so don't abuse it to much or you will be calling a roll back.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
I've run a couple of the OD 833s in trucks, never heard any abnormal grinding. I'd stick the original 4 speed in. My last car had a 440 4 speed with 3.55s, and it cruised easily at 70 (a tad slow for California though)

DirtyBird

Reaction score
Unfortunately I need to do a lot of freeway driving here in California so I wanted to increase my MPG by adding the overdrive, and also lower the RPMs for cruising. I'm not sure the front bearing was milled down though...is this going to be a problem? I'm thinking I could put the Orig 4 speed back in but for now I'd like to drive with this OD for a while...Think it will last?

quikbird

Reaction score
roll back is a type of tow truck. gear vendors makes an overdrive that fits behind the 4 speed that can get you the mileage you desire. it is also cheaper than a new 5 speed from tremec or passon

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
What do you mean "calling a roll back"? You mean a tow?

I'm sure that is what he means. The case was not strong enough for allot of torque so take it easy. A833's are a bit noisy in the lower gears but I can't hear yours to give you an opinion.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
how long will it last? how heavy is your right foot?

download.jpg

download (1).jpg

download.jpg

download (1).jpg

DirtyBird

Reaction score
Thanks quickbird, I've researched this before...Unfortunately its still $3000 over my budge :(
I'll either save up or try to find a used one (or used tremec or passon) I guess...

DirtyBird

Reaction score
69hemibeep I'll see if I can add an audio clip soon. Like you said, its mostly whiny in low gears...but once I get in 3rd (actually 4th) and then overdrive, its not really noticeable. I guess I was mislead on the simplicity of the swap...Glad I kept the original 4 speed.
Do you think the front bearing could be the problem and what should I expect to pay to have the front bearing milled down? Is this something simple? I just got this car and its so hard not to drive it as often as I can!! (She's a beast and she doesn't like being kept under the cover long...)

Ranger

Reaction score
Unfortunately I need to do a lot of freeway driving here in California so I wanted to increase my MPG by adding the overdrive, and also lower the RPMs for cruising.
How married to the 3.55 are you? I run about 2600 RPM at 70 MPH with a 3.23.

DirtyBird

Reaction score
@Ranger:
Not married just feeling things out...are you running a 440? How is first gear with the 323? I like the idea and would consider it...I really have no clue what my mpg is now but I (California) dream(in) of taking a road trip and getting 20pmg cruising down the highway but I love a good jump in first as well...cake and eat it too???

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Its a difference of about 300 rpm at 70 between the two gear sets.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
@Ranger:
Not married just feeling things out...are you running a 440? How is first gear with the 323? I like the idea and would consider it...I really have no clue what my mpg is now but I (California) dream(in) of taking a road trip and getting 20pmg cruising down the highway but I love a good jump in first as well...cake and eat it too???

Keep dream(in) 20mpg aint happen(in)

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
69hemibeep I'll see if I can add an audio clip soon. Like you said, its mostly whiny in low gears...but once I get in 3rd (actually 4th) and then overdrive, its not really noticeable. I guess I was mislead on the simplicity of the swap...Glad I kept the original 4 speed.
Do you think the front bearing could be the problem and what should I expect to pay to have the front bearing milled down? Is this something simple? I just got this car and its so hard not to drive it as often as I can!! (She's a beast and she doesn't like being kept under the cover long...)
The bearing retainer has either been cut down already or the bellhousing has had the opening enlarged. Otherwise it wouldn't bolt together. What you probably have is a worn out trans. Face it, it probably came out of some worn out truck. Don't expect it to be like a new car.

Call the guy that did the swap and ask him what he did. Then figure out what you need to put the right trans back in. Your mileage "improvement" ain't squat with the overdrive. What... maybe 5% if you're lucky??? At 14 mpg you might get another .7 mpg. Yea...

Put the real trans back in before you scatter the aluminum pos. Your rollback bill will be more than any gas savings in 5 years.

Back