• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Aftermarket Fenders

Big Block

Reaction score
Bought some AMD fenders. They don't line up with the door and if you get them to line up with the door they won't line up with the rocker panel. If I try to Fit it to the door they fit at the top but there's a big gap at the bottom The old fenders fit perfect but they have a lot of rust on the inside, so should I try to just fix them and put them back on. Any suggestions?

quikbird

Reaction score
Start with the junction of the rear fender and door. That gap is hard to change. Once it’s set then start on the front gap. These fenders frequently need some adjustment and possibly some wire welded to areas where needed to close the gap. Ask Russ its a lot of work

Big Block

Reaction score
Thanks quikbird I will try. I guess that aftermarket stuff is hard to work with. it makes you want to just smash it. I was watching My friend Pete, and he says DON'T USE. Wish I'd watched him before I ordered it...:BangHead:

quikbird

Reaction score
sometimes even though there is a lot of adjustment needed, it is still a better piece than your original swiss cheese rusty one

Big Block

Reaction score
Quikbird I guess I will try to work on them again if they don't make me too aggravated. :beep:thank you

quikbird

Reaction score
They will make you aggravated. That is a given. Good luck, take a deep breath and walk away if it gets to bad

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Sorry to here of you dilemma with the fender's. I have a good donner fender and the other is good. My driver side front fender had a big enough hole to put a foot ball through. Think if you get the shim pack from harbor freight and a lot of work you might get them to work good. It would depend on how bad the old fenders are. If only a small patch or something like that would fix it but on the other hand how bad are they. Good luck Big Block. :popcorn2:

Big Block

Reaction score
I thought with new fenders with what you have to pay for them that they would fit better than they do. my old fenders fit like a glove. Kinda aggravates me that the new ones have to be re-manufactured to get them to fit better. thank you. good luck Russ.:thumbsup: see you later

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Now we know why the body shop's get so much money to work on these old car's. A lot of time put into installing after market body Parts. I have new doors and so far every thing is looking good. I really don't want to do another one when this one is DONE!!!!!!:D

Big Block

Reaction score
I have had this car for 47 years and I just want to see it done and it will be the last one I do! It's time to grill, mow grass, and go fishing!!!

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
If it drives you crazy then take a brake from it. I see a lot of info on how the panels don't want to match up. So their must be an answer. Trim here and bend their. Cant believe they can be that bad. Ha-Ha. I would call AMD and ask if they have an answer for you. I call them several times my self. Some help. Other things had to figure it out by my self. Like the darn Dutch mans panel. Good luck buddy you will get it I know. Can you adjust the door to match the fender or is that out of the question. Just thinking. Russ. :steering:Driving me crazy!!!!!!!

Big Block

Reaction score
I think I am going to take that big long brace at the back of the new fender out of it where it meets the door. It looks like there aren't that many spot welds that hold it together and I will take the brace out and bend it to the door and the lower rocker panel and then I will put it back in the back of the fender where it goes and spot weld them together and weld all down the fender to get rid of the gap and hope for the best - can't get much worse. :praying: Thanks for the support guys!

By the way, we had 5" of snow yesterday. Anybody have any sunshine you can send?

Last edited:

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Well Big Block I can bottle up some sunshine and send it to you. :lol: That sound's like a plan on the fender's. Gee thought it would fit rite up. But as you know Pete had his problem's with after market panel's. May be you can build up the edge with a body filler instead of welding. I am not fond of body filler but have had to use it to make this car I got look rite. Thought the roof was in good shape till I started sanding it and found Outies and Ines. Think the metal was short and had to pull it down this caused the roof rails to push up on the metal and made low spot between the roof rails. Driver side tab that weld's to the A Piller was bent to ward's the wind shield. Really had to work on that area to get it welded in place. Wish you luck can't wait to see the car finished. Buddy.

Big Block

Reaction score
It sounds like you have had some problems with your car too. It just takes so many hours on these cars to get anything done. it would help if the parts would fit a little better to help you a little.I guess that's the way it is if you're going to work on these cars. good luck on your car and hope you get it done soon. your car buddy

dmartin

Reaction score
If you don’t tack weld a brace in the door way where the striker goes I can’t remember what it is called but any case if you don’t keep it in place and also level the car don’t move it and you should have taken measurements every inch down the side write them down and make sure they are the same on the new quarters and clamp it in the trunk channels and sweat out the lead seams and you should be good to go man mine were pretty easy and I’m not a paint and body man

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Thank the car god's. When doing partial assembly every thing on the car fit pretty good. Was worried about the new door's lining up. The fact of replacing upper and lower cowl along with the hinge pillars had me a bit afraid. Of course I had bracing in. But measured and remeasured a bunch of times. The latch pillars measured from inside to the other one. Also from the hinge pillar to the latch pillar. How it turned out that good I will never know. The big thing is I did not strip the car. Replaced a piece at a time to avoid taking to much apart. I think that is the key to it keep it simple. Keep at it Big block where rooting for you. :thumbsup2::thumbsup2::thumbsup2::thumbsup2:

Sixtynine_Bird

Reaction score
Good luck with that, I've had the same problem. I bought an AMD front passenger fender and the gap between the door and fender was awful! Had to wire weld it on the edge and un-weld the brace trying to stretch the metal and rewelded at the bottom a bit farther from what it was.

Good luck I fill your pain.

whayden2003

Reaction score
Dang. I guess I'll revert back to keeping as much if my fender and putting a patch panel on the lower. I mean if I'm going to weld on the new 600 buck fender. Might as weld on my free rusted fender.

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
:kartman: That darn RUST. What is a man to do. Shrink it bend it cuss it and fight with it some more. Then when it is done the pain is over.

Back