• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Air Grabber fastener question, Hex sheet metal screws for rubber air seal to box?

A12

Reaction score
000RR_parts_garg60a.jpgCould someone please if they have one post an ORIGINAL clean, no rust image of one of the heads of the hex sheet metal screws (hex bolt)? Most all of the reproduction bolts that are available are bright silver plated and just don't look correct IMO. I have photos of a '69 survivor Hemi Road Runner with black bolts and they look original but not sure. I just bought an untouched original Road Runner hood with an air grabber and the bolts are rusted but when I removed a couple the underside of the washer is actually a dull silver galvanized finish, not a shinny silver plating. Also I was asked by a restoration vendor if there were any manufacture marking in the head of the hex but my bolts are so rusted that there is no way to tell. This restoration vendor wants to make the correct bolts if we can determine what the plating or paint(?) or coating color should really be. Thanks in advance,

MikeR

000RR_parts_garg60a.jpg

Air_Grabber_seal_screws_1969_0001a.jpg

000RR_parts_garg60a.jpg

Air_Grabber_seal_screws_1969_0001a.jpg

Last edited:

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
The fasteners that hold the rubber boot that fits down over the air cleaner are black phosphate. The ones that attach the rubber access covers to the ends of the duct are zinc finished. You can see in my pic the phosphate rusted the zinc didn't

roadrunner restoration 444.jpg

roadrunner restoration 447.jpg

A12

Reaction score
Thanks. This is going to be an interesting research for me going forward. I just bought an original '69 air grabber system complete and still riveted to the original hood that it came on to put onto my '69 GTX. I have to drill off the original steel, large head rivets and found a source for some NOS rivets and thought I only needed six for the tabs on the air grabber but then found the outer rubber access covers are also riveted and not bolted like yours and some others I've seen??? Then I found this factory illustration and see that it calls for rivets at the outer rubber access covers like my original setup??? Now I need to figure out if some assembly plants used rivets and some used bolts and which is correct per assembly plant if that is the case???

My hood and the illustration: (I'll have to figure out which assembly plant the hood I have came from, I got the hood from a friend here in Ohio and know the Road Runner was an Ohio car all of its life).

Air Grabber 000001x_resized.jpg

air grabber 1.jpg

Air Grabber 000001x_resized.jpg

air grabber 1.jpg

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
If it does you any good mine is a Lynch rd car. Ive had two of these both had bolted access covers, this one now is the best unmolested of the two with the original owner a mile away I pick his brain now and then on what the car has been through.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Does you air grabber have a rubber boot for power brakes? And does the car have power brakes? Not that is matters if you have manual brakes the booted air grabbers were found on quite a few manual brake cars.

A12

Reaction score
Does you air grabber have a rubber boot for power brakes? And does the car have power brakes? Not that is matters if you have manual brakes the booted air grabbers were found on quite a few manual brake cars.

Yikes! I always thought the power brake rubber boot was only a Hemi motor thing? The air grabber I have now WITHOUT the power brake boot is going on my '69 GTX WITH power brakes....crap I hope there's not a problem :upset:

MikeR

A12

Reaction score
Just found this non-Hemi car with power brakes and no master cylinder air grabber boot. I'm hoping that the additional boot was for the Hemi's larger master cylinder?

mopp_0904_02_z+1969_plymouth_gtxair_grabber.jpg

1969-plymouth-roadrunner-under-the-hood.jpg

mopp_0904_02_z+1969_plymouth_gtxair_grabber.jpg

1969-plymouth-roadrunner-under-the-hood.jpg

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Yikes! I always thought the power brake rubber boot was only a Hemi motor thing? The air grabber I have now WITHOUT the power brake boot is going on my '69 GTX WITH power brakes....crap I hope there's not a problem :upset:

MikeR

I should have added the boot has been found on manual brake "HEMI" cars. Sorry

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Come on guys I know there are more N96 cars on here, need some wedge engine input!

A12

Reaction score
Looked at my GTX's power brake booster and other non-Hemi power brake boosters and they all are below the cowl to firewall joint pinch weld. The Hemi power brake booster is above the cowl to firewall joint seam.....guess that's the reason I heard it was a Hemi B-body thing only on the air grabber. Still have my fingers crossed :courage:

MikeR

A12

Reaction score
I should have added the boot has been found on manual brake "HEMI" cars. Sorry

I guess regardless of power or manual brakes the Hemi engine seems to have needed the master cylinder to be moved upward to get some additional room for those big freaking Hemi Heads :lol:

Back