• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Air grabber lid paint scheme

WWheeler

Reaction score
My question is if the air cleaner lid is painted orange on BOTH sides or just on the top from the factory? If just the top surface, I would assume the underside is semi gloss black like the base? BTW, I have the correct orange color.

Thanks.

WWheeler

Reaction score
OK and thank you! My plan WAS to powder coat both the base and lid and just coat the top of the lid orange. The PC would have acted as a bullet proof primer for the orange. I am surprised they coated the underside orange. Darn. I was looking forward to duplicating the “overspray” look under the lid with orange like there is on the underside of the body!

WWheeler

Reaction score
One final question. The lid and base I have are probably reproductions from a few years back. They have made in Canada on them. Did the originals have that?

Thanks!!!!

cosgig

Reaction score
Which air cleaner are we talking about here? Original underside of a 70 6bbl lid.

25760819-3B9B-4145-9383-0AFDF619B658.jpeg

WWheeler

Reaction score
Thanks for the picture. Yes, it is a ‘70 440+6 air cleaner lid. The repro I have is orange on top and black on the underside and has a “Made in Canada” stamp in white along with a part number. The part number is #2946393 and could be correct. BTW the base has the same “Made in Canada” stamp and part number #3418717 which seems not quite right. Any thoughts?

Thanks.

cosgig

Reaction score
Thanks for the picture. Yes, it is a ‘70 440+6 air cleaner lid. The repro I have is orange on top and black on the underside and has a “Made in Canada” stamp in white along with a part number. The part number is #2946393 and could be correct. BTW the base has the same “Made in Canada” stamp and part number #3418717 which seems not quite right. Any thoughts?

Thanks.

where on the lid and base is the part numbers you found? I can check my lid for those.

WWheeler

Reaction score
After looking around, these are probably Mopar Performance that came with the car when I bought it years ago. Just now getting around to refinishing it. Both parts are E coated semi gloss black and then the lid was sprayed orange, but only on top. The base had the deflector spot welded on the front and was for a non-grabber hood. Since mine has the grabber, I ground that off.

Attached are pics of the part numbers. Just curious if the original bits had these numbers.

IMG_0387.JPG

IMG_0388.JPG

Back