• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

alternator bolt from hell broken off in head

moparstuart

Reaction score
coming home from a car show saturday I had an alternator bolt shear off in the head
, we heard a rattle and stopped and duct taped (200 mile an hour tape ) it to keep the alternator on so we could get the 30 miles home .

moparstuart

Reaction score
:jester: alternator mounted back on fine but now it wont charger ???
I thought it might be a ground problem , but now i have scraped off paint and re grounded everything well
still no charge ?
charged voltage reg also just to make sure ?

moparstuart

Reaction score
:cheers: so tonight i pulled the alternator back off ,it has a life time warranty , will have it tested tomorrow

It will jump the gauge every once in a while but if you turn the lights on or put any load on it the gauge never moves ? gauge never move but once every minute or so with out a load then goes right back to discharge ?

moparstuart

Reaction score
roadrunnerh said:
That was one hell of a pickle! Were you able to use an extractor bit?
only could get a really small hole drilled , the easy out would bite for a second and then just eat the metal away around it so no hole to bit into again , was very frustrating. this bracket worked great but now it just wont charge ?

BBillyC

Reaction score
Hmmmmm. Did the alternator fry a bearing and cook itself and that's what caused the bolt to shear off???

moparstuart

Reaction score
BBillyC said:
Hmmmmm. Did the alternator fry a bearing and cook itself and that's what caused the bolt to shear off???
no i thought that too but it was quiet as a mouse , I did get it checked today and they say its charging intermittanly , so new one is coming it has a life time warranty .

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
Best bet for something like that is a left hand drill.

Back