• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Alternator wiring

1HTBIRD

Reaction score
Just installed a one wire alternator and ran, per the instructions, a single wire from the alternator to the battery with a fusable link. Problem was no power to any circuits. I removed the one wire from the alternator that led to battery and I then re attached the fusable link wire from the starter relay to the alternator and also the black wire that goes to the firewall block. It now has power to circuits. Since the alternator has an internal regulator, I did not attached the old regulator leads to any field terminal of the new alternator.

My question is: Do I connect another single wire ( 8 gauge) from the alternator directly to the battery along with these others already connected? Seems duplicated to me but how then does the battery get charged with using only a 12 gauge wire on the fusable link wire which is then already connected to the + side of the battery.

Back