• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

aluminum intakes

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
was wondering what's a good way to clean one? Not really looking for a mirror show car type finish. The runner has an Edelbrock intake, and was thinking about trying to clean it on the car. And my Uncle put a MP intake on the truck, which is really dirty. Has a bad oil leak in the front, so it's comming off sometime. Might just paint it while it's off. The car has a day two look, with the DC valve covers and headers.

3BIRDS1X

Staff member
Reaction score
Depends on the grade of the AL. I tried to polish my corvette EFI and brackets but it was of such a low grade it was always frecklely and never stayed shiney long, the process is emery cloth course to fine then wet sanding course to 1500 or 2000 and then metal polish. or just bead blast it and leave it unfinished.

mcmopar

Reaction score
If its oil stained badly it will never completely clean up while still on the engine. If you want it cleaned up nicely remove it and have it media blasted. It still may not completely clean up but it will look a whole lot better. Make sure if you do have it blasted to clean it THOROUGHLY before reinstalling it. You don't want that grit getting down inside the engine.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
that's probably what i'll end up doing Gary. For sure with the truck.

V269

Reaction score
I just blasted mine and painted it with high temp aluminum paint. Looks great. :thumbsup:

moparchris

Reaction score
Hey basketcase,

I have bead blasted my intake many times over the years. I found that when its freshly cut from the media it looks great but it also is like a sponge and quickly turns brown from under hood activity. I have given up and paint all my intakes now since its easy to clean. It seems some media makes it more resiliant to the elements than others. Clean that intake and then go out and do a burnout! Dont forget the camera!

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
well it looks like I'll be painting them,and the burn out i on DVD, just need to get it sent to Gary to download. :drive:

Back