• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

aluminum radiator

Big Mo

Reaction score
I bought a new aluminum radiator at mopar nats in 2019. I was talking to a friend today and told him about it. He said good luck with aluminum. He showed me 3 that he has that all leaked. He now has copper. Well he really didn't help my confidence with that info. Anyone of you have aluminum radiator and how do you like or dislike it. Thanks from Big Mo.

Plybeep68

Acceleratii Incredibus
Reaction score
I have an aluminum down flow style, 2 row tubes which are 1" , been in 4 years , so far no issues

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
I like you are torn on weather to go Aluminum or copper. I did buy an OER one and the old original one. three row. Because I am going to have AC. Many people have gone with the newer one's. Just wonder how they fix a leak in the Aluminum one's. Maybe one day I will have one but for now staying old school. Just my 2 cent's. Big Mo.

Big Mo

Reaction score
I like you are torn on weather to go Aluminum or copper. I did buy an OER one and the old original one. three row. Because I am going to have AC. Many people have gone with the newer one's. Just wonder how they fix a leak in the Aluminum one's. Maybe one day I will have one but for now staying old school. Just my 2 cent's. Big Mo.
My friend said he thought they were put together with some kind of epoxy so repair is really not an option. I will try to get more information on this. As of now I will use mine and hope it does not leak.

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Big Block had his core redone. We just don't have any radiator shop's that do that work where I live. The one near me patched one for a tractor I have. But it started to leak again so bought a new one. It use to be they would clean them for you. Run a rod through the cooing tube's and clean the tank's. Now day's seeing plastic Radiators. I don't like that idea. Like metal one's. :thumbsup2:

Plybeep68

Acceleratii Incredibus
Reaction score
I just went out and looked at mine , it has welds at all the seams, didnt see any epoxy anywhere, the 2 rows of 1" tubes keeps it running cool even are those hot summer days. I was told that's equivalent to a 4 row core

RAINMANYEH

Reaction score
Sounds like the friend got aluminum radiators from some fly by night or Chinese knock off dealer. I know several people that have them and have had no issues. I’m going to need to do something with mine coming up and plan to check into having the original rebuilt.

6PKRTSE

Reaction score
I had a custom aluminum rad made with a shroud and dual electric fans with -20 AN inlet and outlets for my Challenger. Had them try to keep the OEM look for my stock appearing but race car look (well, kind of stock).

20161118_201142.jpg

20161201_200820.jpg

20161124_181736.jpg

Last edited:

Big Mo

Reaction score
Sounds like the friend got aluminum radiators from some fly by night or Chinese knock off dealer. I know several people that have them and have had no issues. I’m going to need to do something with mine coming up and plan to check into having the original rebuilt.
I also had that thought but did not say anything to him. I thought I would do some checking on my own. How do you like the fans?

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Don't run the clutch they have been known to fail. Go straight to the water pump with a spacer. No more clutch problem's. :steering:

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Fan clutch saves horse power and fan belts, yes it is a wear item just like brake shoes.

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Fan clutch saves horse power and fan belts, yes it is a wear item just like brake shoes.
Rusty is correct. You should ditch that useless fan clutch on your car. Just send it to me. I'll throw it on the parts pile...

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Mine did not have one Or I would gladly seed it two one of you. I would have to toss a coin to see who the winner was. Sorry I just had bad luck with them I guess. That is when one let go and took out a radiator. The other ones did not work and the car over heated a long way from home. Just my Two Cents on those Darn thing's.

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Mine did not have one Or I would gladly seed it two one of you. I would have to toss a coin to see who the winner was. Sorry I just had bad luck with them I guess. That is when one let go and took out a radiator. The other ones did not work and the car over heated a long way from home. Just my Two Cents on those Darn thing's.
Hemi cars and A12s take a special fan clutch. Big $$$. We both have what we need. I was just messing with Bob...which is why he gave me the middle finger...

Back