AMD Bumper Quality

Body, Interior and Trim

1. SgtLee511

SgtLee511 Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2015
    Ive got to get a replacement rear bumper asap so that I can have quarters put on correctly, mu bumper is twisted and sits uneven, and I cant weld up my quarters with out it sitting place. So what kind of reviews are out there on the AMD bumpers, Ive heard they are quick to rust, but Im out of choices....

2. Big John

Big John Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke

Sep 8, 2008
    I would contact these guys: http://www.tricityplating.com/

A good bumper shop will straighten your bumper and rechrome it. I've had bumpers that were pretty wadded up and then straightened and rechromed by a local shop. They came out great. Obviously, the better the core, the better the end result, but your's doesn't sound that bad. Problem is there isn't a lot of bumper shops anymore.

Tri City was recommended to me by a friend that has had a lot of work done there.

Again... Chinese new versus rebuilt original.

3. droptop

droptop Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2008
    I had a bumper chromed by Tri City for my 75. Had to send it back because it was full of sanding scratches. They did make it good, I just lost an entire season of driving because it was without a bumper for months. Make sure you can inspect any bumper in person before you buy.

4. Basketcase

Basketcase Luddite

Sep 10, 2008
    I got both my bumpers thru Jeff at 521 Restorations (AMD) in 2012. They bolted right on and look great. No sign of any rust anywhere.
    enhance.jpg

5. 69hemibeep

69hemibeep Sponge Bob Square Wheels

Sep 10, 2008
    I put them on my Valiant, they fit well and I would say the finish is about what the factory did, its nice but not show chrome. No complaints here

6. Russ69Runner

Russ69Runner Well-Known Member

Aug 4, 2016
    All of my friend's say to paint the back of the bumper's before putting them on. I will Epoxy mine before installing them not a bad Idea. Russ. :thumbsup:

SgtLee511 likes this.
  7. ACME A12

ACME A12 Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator Staff Member

Nov 4, 2008
    Tri City did the bumpers on Mrs. ACME's Swinger. That was about 15 years ago. They straightened them and welded up some holes in the rear bumper where someone had added on a hitch. They still look like they were just done yesterday. I too was turned on to them by a friend - a friend with one of the nicest '57 Chevys in the country. He won't use anyone else. They will be doing the bumpers on Bambi when the time comes.

At the other end of the spectrum are the Chrome Wizard and the Bumper Boyz. I had the Chrome Wizard do the bumpers on my '74 Duster and the fender extensions on the Swinger. "Nightmare" does not even come close to describing THAT experience - at one point I thought that I would have to take him to small claims court, and was convinced that I would never see my parts again. I bought a set of re-chromed bumpers for my '67 Malibu from the Bumper Boyz at the Daytona Turkey Rod Run several years ago. They started rusting before I even got them on the car. Worst metal prep I have ever seen for this type of work. I would never use either of them EVER again.

8. Basketcase

Basketcase Luddite

Sep 10, 2008
    never heard of Chrome Wizard...but have NEVER heard anything good about Bumper Boyz

9. Roadcuda

Roadcuda Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2008
    :that:

10. droptop

droptop Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2008
    X's 2 on the Bumper Boys. Had a ft bumper done for the 75, Looked good for about 6 months until the chrome started pealing off in big sheets.

11. quikbird

quikbird Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2014
    :rofl:Solved that problem, switched to fiberglass bumpers.

12. dmartin

dmartin Well-Known Member

Aug 30, 2013
    If it is dipped right it will not rust unless you have a uhh ohh moment with something I've got an AMD on the front no rust anywhere

13. SgtLee511

SgtLee511 Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2015
    Just got my back bumper AMD, looks and fits correct, Im only installing it temporary while I weld on my lower quarters, Its got a pastey wax on them out of the box. Thanks for the opinions and suggestions, Im going to have my front rechromed, when I need it later