• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Another rear main seal question (Mancini's kit)

nicanor

Reaction score
I ordered the Mancini rear main seal kit housing, guide pins seals and it came with no instructions.

What is the correct way to install the seal? Which way does the seal face and how do you konw what is the front of the seal that faces in toward the engine and what is the part that faces back toward the transmission? I don't know if the lip faces in or out.

Minor leak much worse after first tempt of changing the seal.

Thanks,
Barry

RoadRunnerJD

Reaction score
You could call Mancini's? Here's how I do it:
The lip of the rubber seal is facing inward with the tapered part towards the back. Oil the lip lightly but keep the mating surface with the block dry. The side "soaps" are soaked in mineral spirits or a little diesel fuel briefly. This causes them to expand slightly so you need to install them fairly promptly with the cap. Hold them flush or very slightly below the top of the cap as you slide the cap down. It should be a snug fit and make sure they stay in place. They will fit flush when you torque the cap down. You can't slip them in after the cap is installed. If you can slip them in after, it really is unlikely they will give you a good seal. I do not use any sealer as a rule and it always seems to work OK.

Back