• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

automatic shifters w/ bench seat?

Plymouthfan

Reaction score
Anyone here have a shifter with a bench seat? I thought about adding one, but it seems like it'll be a far reach to actually shift it. Plus I'm not sure I like the looks of those shifters on a basically stock car. All I know is I have an urge to make a change in that direction. My stock column shift is OK, but I feel like I want more excitement when I drive.

A four speed conversion would be ideal, but mega costly and way above my skill level. Especially cutting and welding in the new hump.

A console would work, but again, very costly. Those consoles aren't cheap, then I need to find clean bucket seats. I could probably get away with gathering the parts over time though. I can go for a slap stick, even though they weren't correct for our cars. When it's all said and done, it might end up costing the same a four speed, no?

I have a friend who has a reverse manual on his column... but I'm afraid I might not enjoy driving something like that. Seems like a lot of work for a column shift car. You can't really bang through the gears on a column.

Anybody have any thoughts/opinions?

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
A friend had a Hurst shifter in his bench seat 70 RR. I think they called it an "Autostick" or something like that. Anyway, it looked just like a shifter for a 4 speed, not like the auto shifters they sell now. Just the stick stuck up out of the floor. I haven't seen one since though.

You could use an old school B&M cable shifter. Look for an old one with the chrome box rather then the cheap plastic one.

You might want to rethink the manual valve body deal though. I had one, in a 70 Sport Fury GT. It was real hard on U-joints and the rear end.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
I've always ben a 4 spped guy, except formy first '69. Nothing like banging your own gears. If it were me, I'd gather the parts for the four speed. The parts are easy enough to find, as deals can be found. Ask Dobie, he changed his over. Wouldn't be any more costly than finding a set of bucket seat cores, then recovering them.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
I have a couple buddies with the shifter John is talking about in Jeeps. At first I thought the one put a standard in but no pedal, looked good :thumbsup:

Plymouthfan

Reaction score
Hmmm, TCI sells a shifter similar to what you were talking about John. Actually a bunch of companies make them, I guess today they're considered "street rod shifters" but they seem like it's easy to miss gears. Definitely not performance oriented, more like a cool alternative for a column shift.

Similar to this? http://www.jegs.com/p/TCI/848445/10002/-1

A vintage shifter would be cool too, something from that era maybe. I'm gonna keep my eyes peeled locally for a four speed tranny for a while and get some ideas for cost. I really need to think this out more, LOL.

I most likely wouldn't go the manual valve body route. I could definitely use a forward pattern auto/manual valve body and get great results too.

dobie

Reaction score
The biggest expense will probably be the tranny itself. I seem to remember them going for $4-500 or so at Carlisle this year. I got lucky and mine was in the trunk. After that, the pedal assembly then the bellhousing. Brewer's here in Ohio really helped me. I'd call up with a question, and they always had the correct answer and part.

The guy that did the floor pans did the hump at the same time. It was easy for him to do the welding. He also lives 5 houses down from my uncle so he was up there constantly measuring. It turned out real nice.

I think all told I had close to $3k in the conversion spread out over a 1.5 yrs. Not bad, as I had always wanted a 4 speed car.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
I got the new 4 spped I put in Freebird from Jamie Passon. Great guy. I had three core trannys from over the years, and I put them with $200 and got a brand new one from Jamie. as far as shifter, I've got my eye out for another Pistol Grip.

6t9runner440

Reaction score
Here is a hurst v-gate shifter in my gtx...I like it....only thing i had to do was install a heat shield around the cable

DSC00155.JPG

DSC00155.JPG

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
now that has a nice "Vintage " look to it.

"Dear Santa"

162422184_o.jpg

6t9runner440

Reaction score
The reach isn't bad...kind of like a console car....just a bit lower but it's pretty comfortable...the only thing i'm not crazy about is you have to go to park to get it in reverse...but I think thats true with just about all floor shifters

Plymouthfan

Reaction score
Yeah, I saw those. I was at the local speed shop this weekend and the owner there was trying to talk me into one of those. I think I'm leaning towards the Hurst V Matic shifter at this point though.

http://www.jegs.com/p/Hurst/745809/10002/-1

It works in both ratchet and regular modes so it should be fun on the street. The Lokar kind of seems too much like a fake 4 speed.

:drive:

Back