• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

AVS Carb

abodybill

Senior Citizen Member
Reaction score
I ned to have the AVS rebuilt for the Runner so can anybody recommend a good place or person that can do it?
Thanks,

Bill

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
abodybill said:
I ned to have the AVS rebuilt for the Runner so can anybody recommend a good place or person that can do it?
Thanks,

Bill
Pretty easy to rebuild or you should have a shop nearby. Now if you want it restored that takes bucks and there are two guys Scott Smith of Harms auto or I think his name is Katner.

abodybill

Senior Citizen Member
Reaction score
Well I will buy the book and try it.

If I can work on my Cummins I should be able to rebuild the carb.

Can't make it any worse then it was.

Mostly freshen it up and not looking to restore it as this car and all my cars I drive and drive like Mopar wanted us to drive them.

Thanks,
Bill

moparstuart

Reaction score
abodybill said:
Well I will buy the book and try it.

If I can work on my Cummins I should be able to rebuild the carb.

Can't make it any worse then it was.

Mostly freshen it up and not looking to restore it as this car and all my cars I drive and drive like Mopar wanted us to drive them.

Thanks,
Bill
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: great quote I drive the hell out of mine also .

SomeCarGuy

Reaction score
Watch for hot idle compensator to be gone, at least make sure it is plugged.

Check ball or needle will be under the primary shooter.

I have been having trouble with the old school accel pumps, have been told that an Edelbrock new age material one works better with today's gas.

Be CAREFUL when putting the metering rods baack in, easy to get off track and bend them.

Set float level and float drop too.

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
Yep, rebuild it yourself.

Don't buy the expensive carb cleaner. Last carb I did (for my '53 Chrysler) I used Krud Kutter (got it in Home Depot) straight out of the bottle and had real good results. I have read of using Pine-Sol and I even think Hoosier Bird has tried it and reported that it worked well.

mcmopar

Reaction score
Wal-Mart carb cleaner works great as well. It's easily as good as Gumout for a lot less $$$. Don't mess with STP carb cleaner as it has a weird formula.
The AVS is a super easy carb to rebuild and that book is a must have.

Jim S.

Reaction score
SomeCarGuy said:

I have been having trouble with the old school accel pumps, have been told that an Edelbrock new age material one works better with today's gas.

Be CAREFUL when putting the metering rods baack in, easy to get off track and bend them.

The Edelbrock rebuild kit should work on a Carter AVS shouldn't it? Or are there some minor differences? That project is on this list here also before it snows..

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Jim S. said:
SomeCarGuy said:

The Edelbrock rebuild kit should work on a Carter AVS shouldn't it? Or are there some minor differences? That project is on this list here also before it snows..
There are a few differences the most important is the top gasket. NAPA has a good kit

Jim S.

Reaction score

The Edelbrock rebuild kit should work on a Carter AVS shouldn't it? Or are there some minor differences? That project is on this list here also before it snows..[/quote]
There are a few differences the most important is the top gasket. NAPA has a good kit[/quote]
O.K. Then maybe the way to go is a kit from NAPA and a accel pump from Edelbrock.

SomeCarGuy

Reaction score
I would give the rebuild kit pump a run. I think the Eddy pump is about 15 bucks. A ki is usually 35 so that is a lot for one part I think

mcmopar

Reaction score
Jim S. said:
SomeCarGuy said:

I spoke with Carter about that some time ago. They said their carb is not based on old tooling as all the tooling was destroyed. They told me it was a new design with limited interchangeability with the old carb.
For instance - the old AVS used a 2 step metering rod while the new Edelbrock uses a 3 step rod. Trying to use a new rod in the old carb will screw up your jetting. Also, the old rod covers use a different design. The old rod cover used a bulged cover while the new one is flat. Metering Rod lengths and spring heights & pressures are also different.
And the jets don't use the same nomenclature as before so using the new jets in the old carb would take a bit of time to figure out the right sizes.
Not sure about needle/seat assemblies and floats. Not sure about gaskets either but I'd just get the correct rebuild kit and forget it.

abodybill

Senior Citizen Member
Reaction score
Does anybody have the P/N for the NAPA kit for the AVS carb?

The closest NAPA store to me is 40 miles and I want to make sure I getthe right kit.

Thanks,
Bill

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Just google napa and shop online the kit is 20-25 bucks and they ship to your door

mcmopar

Reaction score
Just get the model # that is stamped on the front of the base of the carb flange and order the correct kit accordingly.

abodybill

Senior Citizen Member
Reaction score
69hemibeep said:
Just google napa and shop online the kit is 20-25 bucks and they ship to your door

I just come from the napa website and all I could find was the Holley ones.

I typed in the carter avs and go nothing :lol:

Will go back and try again.

Bill

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
I went into napa's web site put in 69 roadrunner and carburetor kit and there it is.

Back