• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Barely any brakes

Reaction score
hi guys, I just bought my 1969 Roadrunnner and I love it. Only real issue is there's hardly any brakes. What I noticed last night was the break lights weren't working. I got under the dash and saw a if gap between the brake light switch and the brake pedal. I bent the bracket enough so the so can now open up and and turn the lights on when I apply the brake. But the pedal is too low. If I push the pedal up it will go up about 2 inches but if I take my hand off the pedal it drops and when I drive the car there's hardly any brakes at all. I was thinking about doing a disc brake conversion but I would need to upgrade to 15 inch wheels and I wanna keep my stock wheels. Can anyone tell me how to get the pedal adjusted or is something wrong with the linkage that's causing it to drop? I'm guessing that has to do with the car hardly having brakes. It has a new master cylinder.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
4 things to look at. Air in the lines, wrong master cylinder, rod to the master is to short and brake adjustment

Reaction score
4 things to look at. Air in the lines, wrong master cylinder, rod to the master is to short and brake adjustment

I’m taking the car to a mechanic hopefully this week. The rod seems like something that can be causing some of this issue. But of course I’ll have them go through the entire brake system

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
When is the last time you had a master cylinder put on. This can be the problem due to the pedal not retracting fully. Sound's like fluid is slipping past the plunger to me. Hope the shop dose not take you to the cleaner's. Have changed many of them. Also their is a spring in side of the system so it also may be gone. Let us know what you find out. Always like to know what fixed it. :thumbsup:

Reaction score
When is the last time you had a master cylinder put on. This can be the problem due to the pedal not retracting fully. Sound's like fluid is slipping past the plunger to me. Hope the shop dose not take you to the cleaner's. Have changed many of them. Also their is a spring in side of the system so it also may be gone. Let us know what you find out. Always like to know what fixed it. :thumbsup:

I’m hearing more and more then my issue probably is the master cylinder even thought it’s new. I’m gonna take it to a mechanic this week. I’ll definitely post what the issue was. Ty for your response buddy

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
We all know about new today. Put in new part's and the darn thing would not work. Parts house gave me a new one but the that all take's time. Like I said good luck.

ricks_RR

Reaction score
is this a power brake car if so there is four nuts that hold the master cylinder take them off if not then you may the wrong push rod on it .but if you do and pull the master forward alittle and then you can see the adjustable pin on the booster . don't take the lines off the master it should move forward so you can see if the rod is long enough .I have had a master cylinder ( new ) but the end of the new piston the hole was drilled out so the pin was going to far into the master before it could move that piston in the master cylinder. why I did not know why it was done .the rod at the end that hits the master should have a cap nut on it so it hits the master straight when you push the pedal.

Back