• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Best way to repair

MoparDan

Reaction score
I picked up this 1970 440 block for $100.00 knowing it had a broken ear. I'm now contemplating the best way to fix it. Anyone have a similar problem? How did you fix it? Follow up. I do not have the broken off piece.

Broken Ear..jpg

Last edited:

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Posible to find a junk motor to get that piece. Just to say so you don't have to form it. There is a rod that does not have sialic in it for welding cast. That is a big chunk may be able to tig it with several passes. Got the rod off E bay. Of course. Or look on net for cast rods. Don't know what happened to the rest of the post. You have to heat up both pieces to weld cast. Don't want any air to blow while welding or cooling it down. Need a small hammer to peen it while it cools. Was taught this method by an older friend years ago.

Last edited:

MoparDan

Reaction score
Find a good welder for this. Cast iron is tough to weld
I agree. I haven't bought a block in a long while. I used to pay between 2-300 dollars for them. I just looked on e-bay and now they are going for 3-4000 dollars, WOW! That makes it easy to justify the expense of a professional welder.

MoparDan

Reaction score
Posible to find a junk motor to get that piece. Just to say so you don't have to form it. There is a rod that does not have sialic in it for welding cast. That is a big chunk may be able to tig it with several passes. Got the rod off E bay. Of course. Or look on net for cast rods. Don't know what happened to the rest of the post. You have to heat up both pieces to weld cast. Don't want any air to blow while welding or cooling it down. Need a small hammer to peen it while it cools. Was taught this method by an older friend years ago.
I'm confident in my welding abilities. MIG and Stick, I have a new TIG welder but I'm just getting started and really not confident. Also it appears used blocks/engines have gotten very expensive.

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Heck welding is not that hard Mr Tig shows you how to restore Cast metal. He did a project on J leno block for a car. By looking at that is it the motor mount bracket. Had a pusher rod go through a block when we were racing and the old guy at the junk yard had us get a piece of half inch flat plate. He cut a patch for the block and welded it up with 6011 rods. It never leaked. We ran the motor till we found a bigger motor to put into the car. So, it can be done. have fun with it Dan.

MoparDan

Reaction score
Heck welding is not that hard Mr Tig shows you how to restore Cast metal. He did a project on J leno block for a car. By looking at that is it the motor mount bracket. Had a pusher rod go through a block when we were racing and the old guy at the junk yard had us get a piece of half inch flat plate. He cut a patch for the block and welded it up with 6011 rods. It never leaked. We ran the motor till we found a bigger motor to put into the car. So, it can be done. have fun with it Dan.
If I could still pick up a good block for 2 or 3 hundred, I've it a shot. Now? Russ I'm going to take cowards way out and let a professional do it.

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
You do what you think is best. Nothing ventured and nothing gained. Never too old to learn new tricks. It saves us a bundle of money in the end. I would weld that in a hart beat and never look back. Have fun and enjoy the sport of building these old cars. Keep us posted on the progress of the car. Russ.

Russ Hood

Reaction score
I have a 73 440 RV block, 68 steel crank and 906 heads I bought for $100 about 10 years ago.

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
That is the metal most sought after for making steel overseas. As well the rear ends and transmission case. They want the pig iron to throw into the smelter. Now after years go by, when the electric cars take over parts for our old cars are going to non-existent. Or will be like gold in price. All I have seen in salvage yards lately is newer cars no more rows of the older generation cars like we have. It is getting pretty bad and sad to see these days gone by where you could go to a junk yard and get parts for our older model cars. :(

MoparDan

Reaction score
That is the metal most sought after for making steel overseas. As well the rear ends and transmission case. They want the pig iron to throw into the smelter. Now after years go by, when the electric cars take over parts for our old cars are going to non-existent. Or will be like gold in price. All I have seen in salvage yards lately is newer cars no more rows of the older generation cars like we have. It is getting pretty bad and sad to see these days gone by where you could go to a junk yard and get parts for our older model cars. :(
For most of us, I don't think we will see that day, but I'm sure our children will. I believe when most cars are battery cars it will be the end of the independent repair shop also.

Russ Hood

Reaction score
We have sold all of our steel to China and they sell it back double the price. Damn politicians.

Back