• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

brake line leak at wheel cylinder connection

Shademaker

Reaction score
I just changed the front shoes, hardware, and wheel cylinders from Oreillys. When I went to bleed the brakes I noticed that there is fluid coming out of the line at the wheel cylinder. Does anyone know if there should be an O ring or something there? Or is Oreillys stuff just plain junk? Its happening on both sides. any help is greatly appreciated!

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
You say wheel cylinder so I have to believe they are drum brakes. I like to tighten the line loosen it and tighten again to get the flare to seat. See if that helps.

Shademaker

Reaction score
Yes they are drum brakes. I'm playing with the idea of converting to disc someday.
I will definitely give that a shot. Thank you!

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Where, on the flare?

Front wheel cylinders where the rubber lines enter them. He stated front and didn't say if he replaced the washers so I was just covering all the bases. Obviously not in play on the rears as those are hard lines.
Mopar brake lines.jpg

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
He said front and for some reason I was thinking the rear hard lines, Blond moment :realcrazy:

V.R.D

Reaction score
look at the copper washers on the line one side will have lines on it witch go toward the rubber line the smooth side goes to the wheel cylinder .

Shademaker

Reaction score
I wasn't really looking for a washer when I did these and didn't see anything come off so its possible they are still on there and just need to be replaced. Thank you guys for all the input!
look at the copper washers on the line one side will have lines on it witch go toward the rubber line the smooth side goes to the wheel cylinder .
I will have to check for this. I took the old cylinder off and wiped off where they mount and hooked the line to the new one without paying attention for a washer.

V.R.D

Reaction score
i have had the washers stay on the line . but i have had to do as said hear i would have to lossesen and tighten 4 to 5 times to seat the old washer .most new washers don't have the lines made in the surface of it witch doesn't to seal as good.don't be afraid to tighten the line with in reason

Back