• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

broken fuel pump rod ????

moparstuart

Reaction score
anyone had problems with the fuel pump rod lately ? The rod in the block runn off the cam .
I just had one ( a new one ) brake the tip off . I have had three other people tell me they have had several problems also with them .

They must not be made very well anymore i guess ???

moparstuart

Reaction score
69hemibeep said:
Cam or fuel pump end?

so far everyone has said theres is on the cam end

I will have mine out tonight , I do have a jerryrigged electric pump on it now on the inner fender but i want it back stock . Has anyone ever run an electric and a manual together , I have been told that will also work ? I would properly install the electric back on the frame rail by the tank ?

mcmopar

Reaction score
Sometime after I freshened up my engine back in '03 I had the car running in the garage and all of a sudden it just died and would not restart. After some investigation I decided to pull the fuel pump and, of course, the rod came out as well. Imagine my surprise to find nearly 2 tenths of the end just GONE! I immediately drained the oil and found metallic shavings in the oil! The pump rod end riding on the cam just disintegrated. As far as I know it was the original fuel pump rod. Getting the shavings out was no fun, either, as I had to drop the pan and flush the system.
I ordered a new magnetic drain plug from Hughes Engines to catch any stry particles (boy did it ever work!) along with one of their hardened fuel pump rods. i had heard some time ago that the MP fuel pump rods are soft and will do just what mine did. I had ordered an MP unit while the car was apart but never installed it because when I took a close look at it there was a sharp little nipple on the end where the rod was cut off. Talk about quality workmanship! (or the total lack thereof).
I've had no issues with the hardened pump rod from Hughes. If you are going to stay with a mechanical fuel pump I highly recommend you get one.

george68hemirr

I think you guys are full of shit.
Reaction score
mcmopar said:
Sometime after I freshened up my engine back in '03 I had the car running in the garage and all of a sudden it just died and would not restart. After some investigation I decided to pull the fuel pump and, of course, the rod came out as well. Imagine my surprise to find nearly 2 tenths of the end just GONE! I immediately drained the oil and found metallic shavings in the oil! The pump rod end riding on the cam just disintegrated. As far as I know it was the original fuel pump rod. Getting the shavings out was no fun, either, as I had to drop the pan and flush the system.
I ordered a new magnetic drain plug from Hughes Engines to catch any stry particles (boy did it ever work!) along with one of their hardened fuel pump rods. i had heard some time ago that the MP fuel pump rods are soft and will do just what mine did. I had ordered an MP unit while the car was apart but never installed it because when I took a close look at it there was a sharp little nipple on the end where the rod was cut off. Talk about quality workmanship! (or the total lack thereof).
I've had no issues with the hardened pump rod from Hughes. If you are going to stay with a mechanical fuel pump I highly recommend you get one.

or your not getting enough oil there and thats what is causing the rod to wear out

george68hemirr

Reaction score
moparstuart said:
69hemibeep said:
Cam or fuel pump end?

so far everyone has said theres is on the cam end

I will have mine out tonight , I do have a jerryrigged electric pump on it now on the inner fender but i want it back stock . Has anyone ever run an electric and a manual together , I have been told that will also work ? I would properly install the electric back on the frame rail by the tank ?

my buddy did that and worked....but make sure you install a pressure regulator.....max pressure is 7 1/2 lbs

mcmopar

Reaction score
Hey George - I wondered about that at the time but there seemed to be ample oil in the area when the old rod came out. I haven't had any problems in the last 4-5 years since I installed the hardened rod. :drive:

george68hemirr

Reaction score
mcmopar said:
Hey George - I wondered about that at the time but there seemed to be ample oil in the area when the old rod came out. I haven't had any problems in the last 4-5 years since I installed the hardened rod. :drive:

well 4-5 years is good and if your not having a problem ...problem solved.....Moparstuart are you lisening

mcmopar

Reaction score
I'm just glad it failed before my trip to the Mopar Nats in '05. It would have really sucked to be stranded on I-75 somewhere between here (Orlando) and Columbus!

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm glad you mentioned that Hughes hardened rod, John. I'm going to jump all over that one since I will soon be in assembly mode...

Thanks!!! :thumbsup:

:jester:

Hoosier Bird

Reaction score
ACME A12 said:
I'm glad you mentioned that Hughes hardened rod, John. I'm going to jump all over that one since I will soon be in assembly mode...

Who'e Hugh? Must be a new "Member"........:lmao: :lmao:

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Hoosier Bird said:
[quote="ACME A12":27vcs6dg]I'm glad you mentioned that Hughes hardened rod, John. I'm going to jump all over that one since I will soon be in assembly mode...

Who'e Hugh? Must be a new "Member"........:lmao: :lmao:[/quote:27vcs6dg]
Thats my nick name :lmao:

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
69hemibeep said:
Hoosier Bird said:
[quote="ACME A12":2hm8sohj]I'm glad you mentioned that Hughes hardened rod, John. I'm going to jump all over that one since I will soon be in assembly mode...

Who'e Hugh? Must be a new "Member"........:lmao: :lmao:
Thats my nick name :lmao:[/quote:2hm8sohj]

Sick Puppies...

Can't let your guard down around here for even an instant...

:lmao:

Re-phrased: I intend to PURCHASE a hardened fuel pump push rod from Hughes for my new 440 that I will soon be building...

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
never ran into the pump rod trouble, but a buddy had the cam lobe wear out once.

mcmopar

Reaction score
Sick Puppies...

Can't let your guard down around here for even an instant...

:lmao:

Re-phrased: I intend to PURCHASE a hardened fuel pump push rod from Hughes for my new 440 that I will soon be building...

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

moparstuart

Reaction score
george68hemirr said:
mcmopar said:

well 4-5 years is good and if your not having a problem ...problem solved.....Moparstuart are you lisening
yes
hardened rod and magnetic drain plug

mcmopar

Reaction score
Let me tell you - that magnetic drain plug is a beast! Don't get your analog watches anywhere near it or the watch will be toast! When I drain my oil I just stick it to the steering link bar so I know where it is. It isn't easy to break it loose! It has gotten quite a lot of the metal shavings from the failed pushrod out of the engine I couldn't get to otherwise.
And as for the pushrod - I'd recommend it to ALL big block owners using a mechanical fuel pump, especially if you have swapped out the cam for an aftermarket unit. $29 is reasonably cheap insurance against pump rod failure IMO.

Back