• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cam for 383

roadrunner69

Reaction score
Looking at pulling this 509 out and put in something workable. Way to much cam. Was in it went I got RR.
Probably low comp as usual, stock intake and exhaust manifolds, 4 sp. Like close to stock but want some lope
to it. Any recommendations? No racing it just want a good little hit while idling.

A31PKG

Reaction score
My engine is much like yours. I use the 268 XE. Very pleased with it. Streetable, raceable, cruiseable, great muscular idle, good vacuum, easy starting, nice mid-range powerband......

Oh yeah, crazy burnouts too!

:thumbsup:

1969ronnie

Reaction score
hi,i like the mopar 272 P4286677. its a little hotter than stock and runs great. its very easy to over cam a 383. the rr engine that im rebuilding had a 284/.484 and that was too much cam. it had no bottom end at all. ron

roadrunner69

Reaction score
Thanks. I ran across this one used so I have it on the way to install. Six pack mopar performance
cam & lifters p4452783 268/284 duration, .450/.458 lift.

mcmopar

Reaction score
That's the stocker cam. Runs decent and will give you a fairly smooth idle. Won't be lumpy, though.

roadrunner69

Reaction score
Yea figured it would be a more stock idle. Was looking at the SUM-K6401 or the SUM-K6400. Was leaning toward the
K6401 was not sure how it would work with exhaust manifolds. This 509 that is in it now, just can't get it to work right.(Rich)
The only thing I can figure is a low comp 383 and the cam was probably installed straight up just not a good combo.
The RR will never have headers on it and will be staying with a stock intake.

mcmopar

Reaction score
In that case this 6-BBL cam will do very nicely. The only other thing I'd suggest for the 509 is to install it 2 degrees advanced and see if that won't pick up some low end. I know what you mean by the cam running rich. My Comp is a great stick but seems to run rich at idle - and I have a CR of at least 10.5:1. Just seems to be the nature of the beast. I'm downsizing on the cam, too.

dobie

Reaction score
I went with a Comp Cams XE-274 for my build. My 383 is a mild build, with stock 2bbl pistons. Heads were shaved just a bit and gasket matched. I also have a set of Jet-Hot coated Hooker Competition headers on it. The car is a 4 speed, 3.91 gears.

Im happy with it, although down the road im sure I'll upgrade the bottom end.

MOPARHOUND!

Reaction score
The Crower 271 HDP is a proven favorite with factory heads and exhaust manifolds.

A split pattern cam, it helps out the relatively low flow of the factory exhaust valve/port/manifold configuration.

I run the Summit SUM-K6401 in a 440 with factory heads and manifolds in the '71 Charger R/T. Decent power, and just enough lope to hint the engine isn't stock. These were Crane cams in a Summit box. Don't know if Summit is still selling their remaining inventory of Crane supplied cams? With Crane out of business, not sure who supplies Summit now.

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
MOPARHOUND! said:
The Crower 271 HDP is a proven favorite with factory heads and exhaust manifolds.

A split pattern cam, it helps out the relatively low flow of the factory exhaust valve/port/manifold configuration.

I run the Summit SUM-K6401 in a 440 with factory heads and manifolds in the '71 Charger R/T. Decent power, and just enough lope to hint the engine isn't stock. These were Crane cams in a Summit box. Don't know if Summit is still selling their remaining inventory of Crane supplied cams? With Crane out of business, not sure who supplies Summit now.

Crane is back up and running...

http://blogs.mustangmonthly.com/6741171 ... index.html

Back