• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

carb spacers

mac

What ?
Reaction score
with the lovely gas we have to deal with, i am getting a little tired of the empty float bowls after a day or two of just sitting after going for a ride. was thinking about getting some carb spacers and was wondering if the 1/4" thick ones would be enough or would i have to go to 1/2". now the problem with either one is the lift off hood to airfilter housing space but i think 1/4" should make it. what do you guys think?

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
I have resigned myself to taking the air cleaner lid off and primming it, I keep a little bottle of gas just for that :leave:

zupanj

Reaction score
I have 1/2" spacers on mine and it didn't seem to do squat for helping starting, or anything else for that matter. That is why I put in a small electric pump that I use only when starting the engine.

mac

What ?
Reaction score
69hemibeep said:
I have resigned myself to taking the air cleaner lid off and primming it, I keep a little bottle of gas just for that :leave:

i would not mind doing this except for the hassle of taking the hood off to do it.

mac

What ?
Reaction score
zupanj said:
I have 1/2" spacers on mine and it didn't seem to do squat for helping starting, or anything else for that matter. That is why I put in a small electric pump that I use only when starting the engine.

this might be an option for me in the future. do you run a fuel preesure gauge with what you have? i know the electric pump is just for priming.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
mac said:
69hemibeep said:

i would not mind doing this except for the hassle of taking the hood off to do it.

that's why I did the lazyman's way and got the hinged hood. :D

Roadcuda

Reaction score
I have the same problem with my RR. Let it sit for more then 2 days and it will crank for sometime before the gas gets up to the carb and it fires off. Then it's good for the rest of the day. What I can't figure out is that I don't have that problem with the 4 bbl carbs on my Barracudas. With both of them all I have to do is pump the pedal once for a charge of gas and set the choke, turn the key and they start with 5 seconds of cranking. I had talked to the guy I use to rebuild my carbs and he seems to think that it could be that there may be enough warping in the carb body to allow the gas to drain out. What do you guys think?

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
Roadcuda said:
I have the same problem with my RR. Let it sit for more then 2 days What do you guys think?

I think you guys need to drive your cars more! :drive:

zupanj

Reaction score
mac said:
zupanj said:

this might be an option for me in the future. do you run a fuel preesure gauge with what you have? i know the electric pump is just for priming.

No gauge nor regulator. I just run an electric pump that gives about 7 psi and plumbed it in front of the gas tank and the mechanical pump.

moparchris

Reaction score
Thats weird, none of my cars have this issue. Yes I do have an extended crank time when they sit for weeks on end but they start in less than 20 seconds. I think its good to roll the motor over for some time to let oil get in the proper places before it fires.

red 69 runner

Reaction score
I have no problem after sitting for a week,just pump and set the choke and it starts up after about 7 or 8 seconds.my problem is after shutting off hot and sitting for about a half hour it cranks over really fast and I have to give it about half peddle and it starts,I have a cool carb spacer setup on it,shut it off hot and as long as its not more than 5 minutes starts up one first crank.any body else use a cool carb spacer?

sam z

Reaction score
Mine's a 4bbl with about a 1 inch spacer. My car has had it's share of headaches but not this one. Two pumps
and it usually fires right away. No choke but you just work around that.

generaljmwlee

Reaction score
red 69 runner said:
I have no problem after sitting for a week,just pump and set the choke and it starts up after about 7 or 8 seconds.my problem is after shutting off hot and sitting for about a half hour it cranks over really fast and I have to give it about half peddle and it starts,I have a cool carb spacer setup on it,shut it off hot and as long as its not more than 5 minutes starts up one first crank.any body else use a cool carb spacer?

I have them , seem to work for me.

moparchris

Reaction score
I just this morning went out to start the Six Pack Bee to go to work. I haven't started it in over a month. It took 13.7 seconds of crank time to start.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
moparchris said:
I just this morning went out to start the Six Pack Bee to go to work. I haven't started it in over a month. It took 13.7 seconds of crank time to start.
I crank mine about 8 seconds the oil light goes out then I prime it. It takes 20-25 seconds to fill the two carters enough to start and I really don't want to have this direct drive starter rebuilt again. If it were gear reduction I would crank it all day. Fricken hemis 4spds :toetap:

zupanj

Reaction score
I never timed it but when my hemi used to start it would take maybe 2 minutes of cranking, maybe longer before it would start. I would have to pump the accelerator pedal a lot before I could get enough gas in it to fire.

V269

Reaction score
I have a Carter electric fuel pump on my runner and I turn the key to let the pump run for a few seconds and as soon as I turn the key to start it fires right away. No hesitation at all. This fuel pump is the only one I have on the car by the way. No mechanical pump. :thumbsup:

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
V269 said:
I have a Carter electric fuel pump on my runner and I turn the key to let the pump run for a few seconds and as soon as I turn the key to start it fires right away. No hesitation at all. This fuel pump is the only one I have on the car by the way. No mechanical pump. :thumbsup:
If the bird wasn't a concourse correct car I would put one on in a heart beat, but heck I don't drive it enough to bother me. That's what the Valiant is for

Back