• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Carburetor Question

RonLiv

Reaction score
OK, I have a 1969 Roadrunner. It has a matching 383ci engine with a 4bbl carb. At the moment the car has an Edelbrock Carb, not sure which one but my guess is its the AVS version since that is what I understand was stock, the difference being Plymouth was using the Carter Carburetor. I believe from what research I've done the correct Automatic Trans and No Air carburetor was Carter 4616S. If you had Air and Automatic it was a 46385S. Not sure if they are interchangeable or not, but I would think the Air Conditioning Carb would work in a non-air car and not the other way around. To be honest, I'm pretty far from being a mechanic. I know where the key goes and where to put the gas in, but that is about as qualified as I am to work on an engine. Anyway, I've given some thought to finding a Carter and having it installed in the interest of originality. But I haven't read a whole lot of good things about the Carter, which I'm thinking is probably why the previous owner of the car swapped it out. Any thoughts on this?

Coyote

Reaction score
IMHO, if it works and ain’t broke don’t fix it. The Edlebrock’s are the updated AFB/AVS pattern carbs. With a full size air cleaner, nobody but an expert can tell what you’ve got under there anyhow.

Back