• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Clutch

TOMRR

Reaction score
I have the motor out of my 69RR and at this time would like to replace clutch, pressure plate and throw out bearing. I currently using a 12 inch McLeod set up and seem to be working well. I have a few miles on this clutch and seems to be fine , But feel that seeing that motor is out might as well put in new !! Any outer Clutch Brands Recommendations would be helpful.

Thanks Tom C.

quikbird

Reaction score
What does the disk and the plate look like? Any discoloration on pressure plate?, how much wear on disc?

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
A new throw out bearing is highly suggested. Any time we pull one always replace it. What's up with the motor being out. Russ. :D

TOMRR

Reaction score
A new throw out bearing is highly suggested. Any time we pull one always replace it. What's up with the motor being out. Russ. :D
Not sure started to knock, On it's way back to the engine builder,

TOMRR

Reaction score
What does the disk and the plate look like? Any discoloration on pressure plate?, how much wear on disc?
The pressure Plate is a 3 finger McLeod and does have some discoloration , the clutch disk and plate have about 3000 miles and disk looks ok to me.

quikbird

Reaction score
sounds like if have plenty of thickness on disk, can re-use those parts. good luck on figuring out the knock

TOMRR

Reaction score
75109-bi-1.397.jpg
STREET PRO
Part Number: 75109
Street Pro Clutch Kit Chrysler,Dodge,Plymouth 10.50 x 1 x 23 Spline 10.50" Diaphragm Organic/Organic Disc Learn More
Regular Price: $228.58

This is what I am thinging

TOMRR

Reaction score
Sorry TOMRR hope it is a simple fix. Russ. :D
Yea Me Too , motor is out and the 20th of Oct. will be going back to engine builder I spent big $$$ on this motor and put 3000 easy !!! Miles on it for two summers !!!

quikbird

Reaction score
I run a twin disc mccleod clutch and have had good luck with it. I tried single disc clutches and they just couldn't hold it and burned up way too fast.

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
What size motor are you running. I got a 383. Now you guy's have me thinking about what I have for the clutch. But not going to make a race car out of it. Want a driver but can show the mussel if need to. LOL. Russ.

quikbird

Reaction score
It is all a function of power level and purpose. If running fairly stock horsepower level and driving, regular clutch should do you fairly well. As horsepower goes up you need more grab in the clutch. The problem is in order to get enough grip on the clutch the strength of the pressure plate goes up. This means it takes more work on your leg to work it. If you are 600 hp and a 3500 lb car a single disc clutch needs a lot of leg to work. Not comfortable as a regular driver. A twin disc clutch makes it much easier to use.

RKNRLR

Reaction score
It is all a function of power level and purpose. If running fairly stock horsepower level and driving, regular clutch should do you fairly well. As horsepower goes up you need more grab in the clutch. The problem is in order to get enough grip on the clutch the strength of the pressure plate goes up. This means it takes more work on your leg to work it. If you are 600 hp and a 3500 lb car a single disc clutch needs a lot of leg to work. Not comfortable as a regular driver. A twin disc clutch makes it much easier to use.
Got the jelly legs the first few times I took my bird out on the street!

Back