• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

cooling fan

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
wanting to order the new fan. I have a 383 motor and would like any input on the rite fan to get for my car. Thanks Russ.

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
I see classic has one with original numbers and speck's but dose not give the size. The car came with a flex after market fan. I never was too keen on them. They really do not pull the air you would think they would. They have thin blades. So wanting to put back the fan with the bigger blades. It pulls more air at idle than the flex fan. Just my thought.

1969Claw

Reaction score
I suspect you have a 22" rad support (20" opening) as this is a 383 car. Try to buy a fan that is not too heavy so you don't rob HP. A good fan choice has a metal body and thin blades that flattens out at RPM but is highly curved to draw lots of air at low RPM, just my thoughts as you mentioned above (CFM rating available). A clutch fan is a good idea in the winter but do you drive your car in the winter. Fiberglass fans are not a bad choice either as they are light and flex well at higher RPM. Bolt on electric fan(s) are my choice unless you are looking for originality.
An example site is https://www.flex-a-lite.com

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Thank you 69Hemi and 1969Claw. I am leaning towards the OEM fan. After all this is not a race car. Classic sells the OEM. With the shroud having the 20 inch opening for the fan figure the 18 inch fan would work. It had a flex fan on it when buying the car like a said before not a big fan of the flex fan's. As far as a clutch goes really did not care for them so will go with spacer to get proper fit. :beep:

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
The fan above is used with a clutch, note the large hole. in 69 they also used a fixed fan 18" part #2863224 with a spacer you want the fan 1/3-1/2 into the shroud to work properly.

Last edited:

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
The fan above is used with a clutch, note the large hole. in 69 they also used a fixed fan 18" part #2863224 with a spacer you want the fan 1/3-1/2 into the shroud to work properly.
I know you could barely get you fingers around the shroud. Appreciate it. :thumbsup:

Back